Doublehead cabin question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
Does the Doublehead cabin have any insulation - like any anywhere whatsoever?
I know on the site it says it doesn't, but the last cabin rental I did actually had insulation when it says it wasn't so you never know.
Psyched to stay there and ski down!

A couple places I've stayed in have some fiberglass insulation shoved into cracks or behind boards in places. Sounds like Doublehead is legit not insulated. I like the cold, but I'll make sure my wife brings her -500000 sleeping bag! Thanks!

A couple places I've stayed in have some fiberglass insulation shoved into cracks or behind boards in places. Sounds like Doublehead is legit not insulated. I like the cold, but I'll make sure my wife brings her -500000 sleeping bag! Thanks!

Is that bag powered by dark energy or something? :)

A hint on winter sleeping bags. Pick up a Jon-E hand warmer https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-JO...472547?hash=item1cc2ee2a23:g:AiUAAOSwdwVcCS6A. I think Zippo has a similar device.

They put an amazing amount of heat, far more than the throw away warmers. Light it off before going to bed and it will run all night. It easily adds 20 degrees to bags rating. We used to bring several of them on winter boy scout events.

I was there a few years ago and the logs were the only insulation ... and you might like to bring something to stuff in the gaps in some of the logs to help keep out the wind. I brought chinking in the form of old manila rope. Its a terrific place otherwise with good views of the rock pile across the street ... so to speak.

They put an amazing amount of heat, far more than the throw away warmers. Light it off before going to bed and it will run all night. It easily adds 20 degrees to bags rating. We used to bring several of them on winter boy scout events.

Do you put the unit inside of the bag? My friends and I have done a handful of winter camping nights in NH and still learning. Last weekend was "interesting". I think I'd like to give one of these a try. Thanks.

Do you put the unit inside of the bag? My friends and I have done a handful of winter camping nights in NH and still learning. Last weekend was "interesting". I think I'd like to give one of these a try. Thanks.

Another option is a hot water bottle. A hot Nalgene inside an insulator will throw heat all night and your water for the morning will be ready to go or require very little to get to boiling. It's stuff you're probably already carrying so no extra gear. Place between your legs and your femoral arteries will bring all that heat right to your feet.

I tried this last weekend with one of my bladders, not a Nalgene, maybe that would have worked, the bladder solution did not - at all. I have not done winter backpacking yet, just car camping so far, more gear and is no issue at this time. Thanks!

Yes right in the sleeping bag. Usually we just put them in the bottom of the bag as the standard complaint is cold feet. A typical tent an sleeping bag has plenty of ventilation. Just make sure you put it in the cloth bag it comes with or in a sock as the bare metal can be rather warm. It uses lighter fluid so there is slight lighter fluid odor associated with operation. I don't find it objectionable. It does take one or two tries to figure out how to light it. It initially has a wick with flame but once its running there is just some glowing fabric that can be seen in dark room.

As a scout leader there is lot of standing around watching scouts have all the fun. Frequently the events are in an open field so its easy to get cold. Fire off one of them and put it in an inside pocket of a jacket and it really helps fuel is cheap and there is no trash like the throwaway heaters (except the light fluid can at some point).

FYI, as part of winter training for scouts we would take a quick night hike to warm up before getting in the bag. Worst thing to do is sit around and get cold then go to bed and hope the sleeping bag will warm you up.

you might like to bring something to stuff in the gaps in some of the logs to help keep out the wind.

Spencer, I'd personally suggest about 10 rolls of R-36. Just leave it there when yer done. Thanks! :p

peakbagger said:
A hint on winter sleeping bags. Pick up a Jon-E hand warmer

Thanks much for this info. I had no idea such a reusable device existed.