"Live" Rescue On Facebook: Hiker Lost On Lafayette

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peakbagger, that is a different way than what we've done for map and compass with scouts and would be useful to do at a future camp out. As others pointed out, with a mountaineering AM ascent, he would have been at or just above the hut when the first bit of light might be seen in the east. Saying, I have to see stars in order to continue would have you miss out on some good sunrise conditions. It would be hard to get up four or more miles with a bunch of elevation gain when you see that you may a good sunrise on a less then stellar night. (Some clouds usually help as the light reflects off the clouds, sometimes very dramatically.)

The time to get above treeline probably explains why many that get them from Bond, overnight at the Guyot site. My own sunrise pictures are often after short hikes, sunsets are on longer hikes where I can get up in daylight and back to the trees before needing a head lamp.

Peakbagger, that is a different way than what we've done for map and compass with scouts and would be useful to do at a future camp out.

We always did our orienteering courses in the woods (medium thick) where you could walk ok, but generally couldn't see more than 50-100 feet. Trying to pick out a tree and keeping an eye on it would have been difficult. We'd just stick to our line and count our paces while avoiding large obstacles. Tracking paces in deep snow/high winds would definitely be more challenging, and hard conditions to safely recreate for training boy scouts.

We always did our orienteering courses in the woods (medium thick) where you could walk ok, but generally couldn't see more than 50-100 feet. Trying to pick out a tree and keeping an eye on it would have been difficult. We'd just stick to our line and count our paces while avoiding large obstacles. Tracking paces in deep snow/high winds would definitely be more challenging, and hard conditions to safely recreate for training boy scouts.

We have done it trees, going to where you could see and then taking another bearing. Have also done it where they had to pick a spot across a pond and then walk around the pond. There are several ways to do it depending on the circumstances you are trying to recreate.