REI coming to North Conway

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We'll see which actually opens first, this or the Bedford store. Of course they're still not managing to open one closer to me than Reading.

I expect it will happen quickly as they are probably paying a bundle for the lease.

Unfortunately I expect this may be a deathblow for what is left of EMS.

This is also REI’s first so called “CONCEPT STORE” on the East Coast.

I was at the Marlboro, MA store about 6 weeks ago and asked about the heath of the chain. They said it is doing well and they are even opening a few new stores. Keeping the rents low seems to be a key concern...

Doug
It was reported in The Conway Daily Sun that EMS is actually buying the building they are moving in along with downsizing. Probably will be more like the old store that was in The Eastern Slope Inn. Should be interesting what REI does withe their new space. It was actually developed by EMS as a “Concept Store” originally. Personally I have always found it an ergonomically difficult store to navigate.

We were hoping for something different. Does N. Conway really need another outdoor retailer? And can the local economy support a retailer that caters to relatively well-to-do customers? Perhaps, as the vacationers from MA will all shop there (although MA has its own REI stores). Will be interesting. I don't know what REI has to offer that EMS didn't -- skis and bikes on the left, camping gear on the right, expensive clothing in the middle, shoes in the back and some basic climbing gear. I would think the local retail landscape wouldn't be suitable for more skis and bikes -- plenty of those shops exist (and where you can get personalized attention as opposed to the big box store approach).

IMHO the Conway area long ago sold its collective soul to the god of high end merchandising. REI just replaces EMS as the latest in a chain of stores out to grab a buck as folks pass by on their way to the ski slopes or the WMNF.

When the original LL Beans outlet opened up on the strip it was truly a factory outlet as it was the only LL Beans outlet outside of Freeport and I got some great deals. Those days are long gone.

We were hoping for something different. Does N. Conway really need another outdoor retailer? And can the local economy support a retailer that caters to relatively well-to-do customers? Perhaps, as the vacationers from MA will all shop there (although MA has its own REI stores). Will be interesting. I don't know what REI has to offer that EMS didn't -- skis and bikes on the left, camping gear on the right, expensive clothing in the middle, shoes in the back and some basic climbing gear. I would think the local retail landscape wouldn't be suitable for more skis and bikes -- plenty of those shops exist (and where you can get personalized attention as opposed to the big box store approach).

I'll chime in on this. REI has many more brand names and the selection is a lot better then EMS in all categories. Secondly, REI has a better training program, their employees are much more knowledgeable them EMS employees. Further more, they offer many free clinics that have a lot of value, both educationally and people taking clinics, buy gear. I also like the dividend option, although I don't get a big return, its still worthwhile. Twenty years ago, EMS was a fine store, for many reasons, they lost their way since then.

IMHO the Conway area long ago sold its collective soul to the god of high end merchandising. REI just replaces EMS as the latest in a chain of stores out to grab a buck as folks pass by on their way to the ski slopes or the WMNF.

When the original LL Beans outlet opened up on the strip it was truly a factory outlet as it was the only LL Beans outlet outside of Freeport and I got some great deals. Those days are long gone.

I don't know if that is a fair characterization of REI. I don't think they fit the mold of the typical greedy corporation. They are much more than that in my opinion. They push a lot of environmental initiatives from their suppliers and the public in general and give a lot of cash back via their dividend rewards program. I wouldn't associate them with a "money grab".

Rather than wield the sword of a cynical Luddite I see a lot of positive potential for REI in the Mount Washington Valley. Being a local in the area for 50 years I can attest to have seen a lot of changes in the Outdoor Industry. There was a time the only place to buy any gear was Limmers. From there it has been a constant evolvement of not only retailers but also developers and manufacturers of outdoor gear. The immediate local vibe to this new player has been positive. Every outfitter over the years has found it’s nitch among the consumer. REI will be no different IMO.

I'll chime in on this. REI has many more brand names and the selection is a lot better then EMS in all categories. Secondly, REI has a better training program, their employees are much more knowledgeable them EMS employees. Further more, they offer many free clinics that have a lot of value, both educationally and people taking clinics, buy gear. I also like the dividend option, although I don't get a big return, its still worthwhile. Twenty years ago, EMS was a fine store, for many reasons, they lost their way since then.

In addition, they do a lot more in the community. All the bridges in my local forests were funded by REI.

REI is a smart organization from a marketing perspective. And to their credit, I have always understood that they do support a lot of environmental and conservation efforts. But this is largely to offset the fact that at their core they are still a big box store taking big markups off of retail goods that are produced with foreign labor (e.g., the REI brands are largely made in China and Vietnam, exploiting cheap labor). To be fair, they are obviously not alone. But I don't view them as being meaningfully better stewards than the general big box retailer crowd just because they try to make me feel good by putting profits into outdoor initiatives. I'd rather support Ragged Mountain's brand. But I understand others have different tolerance levels, which is fine.

Plus 1 for shopping at Ragged Mountain. A portion of their clothing and gear is made by local people literally in the back of the store. Their gear is well built and they offer repair service. The business recently changed hands and I hope they can keep some local production but its tough to compete.

REI is a smart organization from a marketing perspective. And to their credit, I have always understood that they do support a lot of environmental and conservation efforts. But this is largely to offset the fact that at their core they are still a big box store taking big markups off of retail goods that are produced with foreign labor (e.g., the REI brands are largely made in China and Vietnam, exploiting cheap labor). To be fair, they are obviously not alone. But I don't view them as being meaningfully better stewards than the general big box retailer crowd just because they try to make me feel good by putting profits into outdoor initiatives. I'd rather support Ragged Mountain's brand. But I understand others have different tolerance levels, which is fine.
REI also has many initiatives with their suppliers to provide green products, ethically sourced raw materials, etc. And they have dropped popular vendors who don't meet these criteria. REI is much more than public relations puff pieces for the local news. It is a culture. IMO they are very different than most big box chains (and I have worked for several).

I get the desire to support local business (and I generally do where I can) but let's not automatically assume that "local = responsible" and "big box = evil" because that is simply not the case. Small companies nowadays often have to "sell their soul" to stay alive and keep their employees working. It's hard for tiny companies to stay relevant in a global economy.

Plus 1 for shopping at Ragged Mountain. A portion of their clothing and gear is made by local people literally in the back of the store. Their gear is well built and they offer repair service. The business recently changed hands and I hope they can keep some local production but its tough to compete.
Ragged Mountain has been a great resource for more than 3 decades. Considering the owner started it in his Mom's garage stitching chalk bags and selling them out of the trunk of his car at the base of Cathedral they have survived many ups and downs. There has been no change of ownership from the original founder and owner whom has also had the same partner/owner for most of the duration. They had some financing issues earlier this year but have reemerged quite nicely. The best part of the outdoor retailers in the MWV is the fact that there is diversity. Personally I have taken advantage of that diversity over the years and not had one sole allegiance to any one outfitter. As there is some overlap among product between the different stores their own personal diversities have been pertinent to their survival but also advantageous to the consumer. Again IMO the addition of REI only stands to enrich that paradigm.

Last edited:
We were hoping for something different. Does N. Conway really need another outdoor retailer? And can the local economy support a retailer that caters to relatively well-to-do customers?...

Like what? North Conway has one of every kind of store already!

I think REI is a good fit for this outdoor town and a nice alternative to a sinking EMS. And if you want specialized climbing gear, go to IME or Ragged Mountain

I don't think many N Conway business could survive if they had only "locals" patronizing their business. It is a tourist town first and foremost.

cb