Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rescue in the Franconia Notch area

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe View Post
    Most likely one of these 2 crossings of Cascade Brook is my guess. No idea of the amount of research said hiker did but the crossing of Cascade Brook have been being discussed on hiking forums and FB for years. Judging by the width of the body of water in the rescue photo, it looks like the first photo. 2nd is of the washed out bridge. Irene?

This is a question for the knowledgeable. Lets say you did this hike thinking the rain was not going to be bad, or just plain didn't look at the forecast. OK, no one here would probably do that. Lets for arguments sake, say you did. So you now know you screwed up and the well documented (dangerous in high water) crossings below are going to be a problem. Would Fishing Jimmy have been a better option? Is the crossing of Cascade Brook at 3600' Bad in high water as well? I can't even recollect them meaning to me they are inconsequential. Heck, I don't even have a picture of them and I take a picture of everything. Just curious about that option even though it would have meant a 1.5 mile walk back to the car.
    I did a crossing of Cascade Brook in high water once. It was scary, so we went upstream quite a ways and found a good spot to go from the North side to the South side. This was a few Memorial Days ago where we got a foot of snow that rapidly melted. The crossing was slightly submerged rocks on the way up, but had risen a foot while we hiked up Kinsman Pond and back down Fishing Jimmy (skipped the summits). That day, the upper crossing (3600') was not issue. The lower crossings on the trail (recrossing Cascade Brook and the Pemi) we easier due to better terrain in the area (i.e., slower water). It was still deep and cold though. Also, we were a group of 5, which helped with crossing evaluation and support. It was intense for sure. Being along in caooder weather with dark setting in, calling for help seems like the prudent decision.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)

Tillson, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Generally flood warnings are a good indication. All of NH was under a flood warning.
    Unlikely, a flood WARNING means flooding is happening or inevitable at a particular location. a Flood WATCH means it might happen.
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

I am pretty sure there was flood warning for that area during at least part of that day, I agree the rest of the state would have been under flood watch. I looked around a bit and couldnt seem to locate a listing of recent flood warnings although I expect its out there.

I expect it was someone who was up here and wanted to go on an "easy" hike and didnt realize that where they were going had stream crossings that flood. Its not the first time folks have been trapped by Cascade Brook trail in high water conditions.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I am pretty sure there was flood warning for that area during at least part of that day, I agree the rest of the state would have been under flood watch. I looked around a bit and couldnt seem to locate a listing of recent flood warnings although I expect its out there.

I expect it was someone who was up here and wanted to go on an "easy" hike and didnt realize that where they were going had stream crossings that flood. Its not the first time folks have been trapped by Cascade Brook trail in high water conditions.
    My understanding is that this was a backpacker who had stayed the previous night at Kinsman Pond. Unclear how long they were out and if they stopped by the hut on their way out. Given where they were stuck, it seems likely that they made at least the initial crossing of Cascade Brook, which is what trapped them. Would have had to gone up to Lonesome Lake and down to Lafayette Place and Bike Path (or whatever it is officialy called) it back to the car to avoid these crossings tough call to make if you're already cold and tired. He could have camped though, so F&G must have felt it was worth the risk to come get him.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    My understanding is that this was a backpacker who had stayed the previous night at Kinsman Pond.
    If that is true it would certainly explain a lot.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

Now, these two events happened more than two decades ago so real-time information was lacking. However, I have run into two situations where I left to bright sunny skies, stayed a couple of nights out where it became increasingly rainy. This was not unexpected according to the weather reports available, but the amount did catch me off-guard.

I had to ford streams to get out. What were easily crossed just by easy rock-hopping or even just less than ankle-deep water, because waist-high torrents that were dangerous. One, the Peabody River one could tell would flood quickly and it did. A change of plans due to the weather left me retreating over something I hadn't intended to. Almost lost my dog that day. The second was nothing, just an unnamed tributary into the Zealand River that most times one doesn't even notice.

I can sympathize with him.