Out There podcast about Bill and Linda Ware

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Podcast about Bill and Linda Ware, who run a hiker hostel in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. It's quite good!

Brian

# # #

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/perfect-strangers/id975413460?i=1000424786058&mt=2

Here's the blurb:
"Perfect Strangers"

Nov 29, 2018

Bill and Linda Ware live in the middle of Maine's notorious 100-Mile Wilderness. The only people they see on a regular basis are thru-hikers on the Appalachian Trail. On this episode, we explore why people would choose to live like that — totally removed from friends and family. How do you keep from getting lonely, when your only human interactions are with hikers who stay a night or two at most? Can the magic of strangers really sustain a person? On this episode, we explore why people would choose to live like that — totally removed from friends and family. How do you keep from getting lonely, when your only human interactions are with hikers who stay a night or two at most? Can the magic of strangers really sustain a person?

Podcast about Bill and Linda Ware, who run a hiker hostel in the Hundred Mile Wilderness. It's quite good!

Brian

# # #

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/perfect-strangers/id975413460?i=1000424786058&mt=2

Here's the blurb:
"Perfect Strangers"

Nov 29, 2018

Bill and Linda Ware live in the middle of Maine's notorious 100-Mile Wilderness. The only people they see on a regular basis are thru-hikers on the Appalachian Trail. On this episode, we explore why people would choose to live like that — totally removed from friends and family. How do you keep from getting lonely, when your only human interactions are with hikers who stay a night or two at most? Can the magic of strangers really sustain a person? On this episode, we explore why people would choose to live like that — totally removed from friends and family. How do you keep from getting lonely, when your only human interactions are with hikers who stay a night or two at most? Can the magic of strangers really sustain a person?

I've not listened to he podcast, yet, however, the preface, IMO, seems to confuse being lonely with being alone. Just because someone is remote and not in constant contact with friends and family, they are lonely. Is 100 Miles of remote wilderness, notorious? Some of us might call those circumstances heavenly. Yes, you can't get a Latte at 6:00 AM and there is no pizza delivery. As most of us know, there is more to a rewarding life than creature comforts.

Or perhaps they are playing on those emotions so people listen.....

They have effectively no guests between November and May. That's six-and-a half months of the year, give or take, where it's just the two of them, and it's a forty minute drive to the nearest store.

When two people live alone for six months a year, and the rest of the year they have guests for one, or at most two, nights, and then they're gone, it does beg the question of how one does that. Very few couples could survive under those conditions, I suspect, and I thought the podcast did a nice job of grappling with that topic. Well, at least of how they survive during hiking season. They didn't go into how they get through the winters. As one discovers, they struggled even during season. I won't say any more about that

Brian

I've not listened to he podcast, yet, however, the preface, IMO, seems to confuse being lonely with being alone. Just because someone is remote and not in constant contact with friends and family, they are lonely. Is 100 Miles of remote wilderness, notorious? Some of us might call those circumstances heavenly. Yes, you can't get a Latte at 6:00 AM and there is no pizza delivery. As most of us know, there is more to a rewarding life than creature comforts.

Or perhaps they are playing on those emotions so people listen.....

Having done the 100 mile wilderness, I think notorious is a good word for it. It's certainly well know, and it's well know for being rough and rooty with a couple potential difficult crossings. The ability to schedule food drops does make it easy to manage at least. That bucket was the opposite of notorious! :cool:

They have effectively no guests between November and May. That's six-and-a half months of the year, give or take, where it's just the two of them, and it's a forty minute drive to the nearest store.

When two people live alone for six months a year, and the rest of the year they have guests for one, or at most two, nights, and then they're gone, it does beg the question of how one does that. Very few couples could survive under those conditions, I suspect, and I thought the podcast did a nice job of grappling with that topic. Well, at least of how they survive during hiking season. They didn't go into how they get through the winters. As one discovers, they struggled even during season. I won't say any more about that

Brian

It raises the question. Begging the question involves using circular reasoning because Trust me, I read it in a book, and the book said the book was always right. ;)

Also, I didn't realize they spent the winters there - wow!

Thanks for posting. I'll give a listen when I have some time. I stayed with Bill and Linda 18 years ago in 2000. Linda served red, white, and blue jello for Independence Day and I was treated to an amazing view of the Northern Lights that night from the shore of the lake. Fond memory and I recall them being quite kind and courteous hosts.