Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parking lots

Up in N. Conway and yesterday, Tuesday, Greeley Ponds, Downes Brook for Potash and the lot for South Moat were unplowed. Diana's Bath was unplowed as of about 9:45 and appeared unplowed for a couple of storms. Will see more lots tomorrow.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Stupid question but I assume this is happening in every state (VT, ME, etc)? I know each state runs things a little different, allocations among agencies vary, not all trails are in federal areas so maybe state/private entities maintain, etc, etc. Been putting off some VT hikes but if they have plowed trail heads maybe now would be a time to take advantage. If anyone outside NH can shed some light on the shutdown impact it'd be appreciated.
    VAST clubs do a lot of plowing in VT. Their website has a map with their parking areas on it. A lot of them are at or close to hiking trails. Their app is pretty handy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    VAST clubs do a lot of plowing in VT. Their website has a map with their parking areas on it. A lot of them are at or close to hiking trails. Their app is pretty handy, too.
    Thanks. I clicked through to their map but I don't see parking/plowing - just trail status. Am I missing something? I am basically interested in the road/lot for the Burrows Trail up Camel's Hump. I assume I'd be coming South off Rte 91 to access. I don't see any trails or icons in that area so I assume they aren't doing anything in that area.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Thanks. I clicked through to their map but I don't see parking/plowing - just trail status. Am I missing something? I am basically interested in the road/lot for the Burrows Trail up Camel's Hump. I assume I'd be coming South off Rte 91 to access. I don't see any trails or icons in that area so I assume they aren't doing anything in that area.
    I don't recall any snowmobile (VAST) corridor near there, on the western side of Camel's Hump. But, remember, it's a Vermont State Park -- I assume that the state keeps this lot open just fine and dandy during a federal shutdown.

(Others can chime in on this.)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    Please don't park in their parking lots. It's for snowmachine parking only. And they can be over taxed depending on which lot as it is. They pay and maintain and deserve it. It's like when I go to Nat Park parking and it say's RV only and cars park there. Not good. No excuses to do what's right.

And if anyone defends parking in Snowmobile paid parking lots its' as bad as the snowmachines that go off trail and try to justify its fine and they have a right.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCaper View Post
    Please don't park in their parking lots. It's for snowmachine parking only. And they can be over taxed depending on which lot as it is. They pay and maintain and deserve it. It's like when I go to Nat Park parking and it say's RV only and cars park there. Not good. No excuses to do what's right.

And if anyone defends parking in Snowmobile paid parking lots its' as bad as the snowmachines that go off trail and try to justify its fine and they have a right.
    The GMC contributes funding for plow operations at places like Bromley that share access.

Looked at the Ammo lot off Base Station road yesterday and at 10:30 AM on Thursday it had not been plowed from Tuesday and Wednesday's snow and they were getting blowing and new snow on Thursday. Mt. Clinton Road was not plowed to the Clinton Road parking lot for Crawford Notch either. State had plowed lot at top of the notch for Willard and Webster Jackson Trail. Lot at bottom of Sawyer River for Winter Carrigain access had been plowed but had a couple of inches in it, was passable though.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCaper View Post
    Please don't park in their parking lots. It's for snowmachine parking only.
    I've never seen any "Snowmachine Parking Only" signs.

Edit: I guess an appropriate sign would be: "Parking for VAST Members Only."
    Last edited by jfb; 01-11-2019 at 01:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe View Post
    Anybody here familiar with whether or not any plowing is done at the beginning of FR 95 for the Shelbourne Trail?
    In case you still are wondering,FR 95 has no trace of plowing. The lot at the state line on the south side of the highway is plowed.

VAST=Vermont Association of Snow Travelers. I'm under the impression that it's not limited to snowmobiles.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    In case you still are wondering,FR 95 has no trace of plowing. The lot at the state line on the south side of the highway is plowed.
    Thanks you.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    VAST=Vermont Association of Snow Travelers. I'm under the impression that it's not limited to snowmobiles.
    It depends. https://vtvast.org/about-us/

Some VAST trails are on GMNF land and hiking/skiing/snowshoeing is allowed. https://vtvast.org/flipbook/2018/Tra...x.html?page=10

Also, the Catamount Trail uses sections of VAST trails. https://catamounttrail.org/ski-the-ct/trail-etiquette/
    Last edited by jfb; Yesterday at 09:52 AM.

Any word on the Lower Falls parking area near Zealand?
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Any word on the Lower Falls parking area near Zealand?
    https://www.vftt.org/forums/showthre...us-Winter-2019

1/10/19 reported as plowed

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

I noticed a few trip reports mentioned the lot "for the AMC Highland center was plowed" and apparently people are parking there for area trail heads. I thought that was a no-no and the lot was only for AMC guests. Did they make some sort of concession because of the shut down or is this just misinformed people just parking their cars where the pavement is clear. I assume the AMC would not allow but was curious if anyone has heard otherwise.
    Last edited by DayTrip; Yesterday at 02:10 PM. Reason: Grammar
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 5/46