Parking lots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know if WMNF trailhead lots are being plowed during the shutdown? Thinking of Chocorua on Sat from the kanc, thanks for any info

A regular snowplow will not touch frozen snow banks but a front end loader will make quick work of them. On a heavy snow year the banks can get built up to the point where a driveway or road gets too narrow. When that happens they bring in a front end loader and push the banks back. Of course I dont think the FS has a fleet of loaders on hand so I expect they will need to contract it and need to have a budget for it. I think the FS opens up the overflow lots at Pinkham in the spring with loader on high snow years this way.

They cleared 19 Mile Brook with a loader sometime on Friday while we were on the trail.

Anybody here familiar with whether or not any plowing is done at the beginning of FR 95 for the Shelbourne Trail?

Anybody here familiar with whether or not any plowing is done at the beginning of FR 95 for the Shelbourne Trail?

Unless there is logging going on I expect no as it normally does not get plowed. There is a snowmachine trail that comes out just down the road closer to the Maine line and I think NH DOT keeps that lot plowed.

Stupid question but I assume this is happening in every state (VT, ME, etc)? I know each state runs things a little different, allocations among agencies vary, not all trails are in federal areas so maybe state/private entities maintain, etc, etc. Been putting off some VT hikes but if they have plowed trail heads maybe now would be a time to take advantage. If anyone outside NH can shed some light on the shutdown impact it'd be appreciated.

Unless there is logging going on I expect no as it normally does not get plowed. There is a snowmachine trail that comes out just down the road closer to the Maine line and I think NH DOT keeps that lot plowed.
Do you mean the Eastern end of that loop?
Screenshot_20190108-194828.jpg

Yes the eastern end. It not a spot I routinely keep an eye on so I am working from memory. I will probably be driving by there Sunday AM.

I expect you are aware that its really easy to miss the left turn off the FR where the trail shifts to the older logging road?.

Yes the eastern end. It not a spot I routinely keep an eye on so I am working from memory. I will probably be driving by there Sunday AM.

I expect you are aware that its really easy to miss the left turn off the FR where the trail shifts to the older logging road?.

Fully aware. Did a couple extra miles doing Howe Peak several years ago. :rolleyes:

Stupid question but I assume this is happening in every state (VT, ME, etc)? I know each state runs things a little different, allocations among agencies vary, not all trails are in federal areas so maybe state/private entities maintain, etc, etc. Been putting off some VT hikes but if they have plowed trail heads maybe now would be a time to take advantage. If anyone outside NH can shed some light on the shutdown impact it'd be appreciated.

FWIW, I've been spending time along the AT between Hanover and Glencliff. Had a town plow come by twice at Dan Doane and every AT crossing parking area had been plowed.

Up in N. Conway and yesterday, Tuesday, Greeley Ponds, Downes Brook for Potash and the lot for South Moat were unplowed. Diana's Bath was unplowed as of about 9:45 and appeared unplowed for a couple of storms. Will see more lots tomorrow.

VAST clubs do a lot of plowing in VT. Their website has a map with their parking areas on it. A lot of them are at or close to hiking trails. Their app is pretty handy, too.

VAST clubs do a lot of plowing in VT. Their website has a map with their parking areas on it. A lot of them are at or close to hiking trails. Their app is pretty handy, too.

Thanks. I clicked through to their map but I don't see parking/plowing - just trail status. Am I missing something? I am basically interested in the road/lot for the Burrows Trail up Camel's Hump. I assume I'd be coming South off Rte 91 to access. I don't see any trails or icons in that area so I assume they aren't doing anything in that area.

Please don't park in their parking lots. It's for snowmachine parking only. And they can be over taxed depending on which lot as it is. They pay and maintain and deserve it. It's like when I go to Nat Park parking and it say's RV only and cars park there. Not good. No excuses to do what's right.

And if anyone defends parking in Snowmobile paid parking lots its' as bad as the snowmachines that go off trail and try to justify its fine and they have a right.

Please don't park in their parking lots. It's for snowmachine parking only. And they can be over taxed depending on which lot as it is. They pay and maintain and deserve it. It's like when I go to Nat Park parking and it say's RV only and cars park there. Not good. No excuses to do what's right.

And if anyone defends parking in Snowmobile paid parking lots its' as bad as the snowmachines that go off trail and try to justify its fine and they have a right.

The GMC contributes funding for plow operations at places like Bromley that share access.