Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: POLL: Your longest day?

My longest was a Pemi Loop in 16 hours with West Bond and Galehead, about 32.5 miles I believe. I watched the sun set from South Twin and had the windy and dark Bonds to myself, until I almost ran into a guy in a hammock across the trail just below the scramble near Bondcliff treeline. Fun day with great conditions. I think I ate about 2,000 cal of trail mix after the hike directly before passing out. I started the hike about 10 AM. I think it was raining in the morning so I took the "Gentleman's Start." Extra headlamps.
    Last edited by Raven; 01-12-2019 at 08:17 AM.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflea View Post

Outside the Whites ~32 +/- hours at Hardrock 100 x 3 and Barkley x 2.
    I was curious who owned the NH plate. Maybe you.

Hardcore.

Edit: I have not done these races but I follow them loosely and have seen photos of the license plate wall.
    Last edited by Raven; 01-12-2019 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Clarity
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

Pemi Lollipop ski trip with Becca M: 28.5 hrs. https://www.vftt.org/forums/showthre...han-30-Hours-)

Doug
    Last edited by DougPaul; 01-14-2019 at 11:23 AM.

In the Whites about 28 hours doing a winter 13-peak Pemi Loop, including Owls Head. Lots of trail breaking.

Outside the Whites ~32 +/- hours at Hardrock 100 x 3 and Barkley x 2.

Good Lord!
    Some of these are just shockingly long! When I had my longest day, (16 hrs), to imagine tacking on another 10-12 hours would have made me start to hallucinate and try cut my own arm off like in that 127 hours movie!
    Spencer
    Bigfoot

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    I was curious who owned the NH plate. Maybe you.l.
    NH? Blasphemy! My contribution was an old “See Vermont” era VT plate.

Spencer, I used to run 100 miler ultras regularly so have had many adventures in the 16-32 hour time range.

Spencer, I used to run 100 miler ultras regularly so have had many adventures in the 16-32 hour time range.
    Well you were accepted and competed in Barkley so that says it all right there. My friend is good friends with Gary Robbins. Gary ran the 93 mile Wonderland trail in less than 19 hours, yet even he couldn't finish the Barkley. As extreme as it gets!!
    Spencer
    Bigfoot

Vermont! Nice, I did not see that one in the partial picture.

The mystery continues I guess.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

[QUOTE=SpencerVT;447617]POLL: What is the longest day you've ever had hiking?

Eiger West Ridge -- 16 hours

Overslept in our bivvy at the base of the route and got a late start (6 AM). As a result my partner got hit by a falling ice ball 3/4s of the way up and we had to retreat.

Slowly worked our way down while the weather changed. We slogged back to Grindwald at 10 PM in the rain.

All our camping gear was locked up in the (closed) train station so we spent the night in bivvy gear on the floor of the town's public bathroom.

A fitting end to a frustrating day!
    cb
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

I'm a piker in this crowd. 15hr whack in the ADKs on one trip. And a 15hr part trail part deep snow trailbreak whack. This would have been much shorter but for a participant who oversold his fitness and we had to feed, coax, cajole, persuade him that he had to get up and keep going every 15min as an icestorm was on its way. Midnight back to the ADK Loj, with the weather coming in the last 90min.
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

Longest unintentional - 16 hrs many years ago in the ADKs when my brother and I went left after the Couch Swamp and floundered on the cripplebush way off trail for a few hours on a miserably hot and buggy early July day.
    Longest intentional - 14 hr solo ADK Great Range traverse on a September day in 2010 that started out as light rain to intense rain to strong winds and sleet to clearing but chilly with rainbows. I met Julia Goren at treeline below Marcy doing her summit steward duties in some crappy weather.

About 13 hours on an aborted attempt on Washington, I simply was in terrible shape. My longest completed hike was The Tripyramids, that was about 10.5 hours. We went up Pine Bend Brook and down Sabbaday Brook, with most of the descent in the dark. I think we left the summit of South around 430pm, this was in October so sunset was maybe 630. Sabbaday was an awful trail, markings were pretty much nonexistent and the trail itself was very hard to follow in the dark. We finally got back to our vehicles around 930.

A few in the 16+ hour range. Longest by mileage was a Pemi loop with West Bond and North Twin (think I skipped Galehead that time) but by far the most exhausting was a 17 hour solo epic in the Santanonis 11 winters ago. I've got permanent neuropathy in my left hand from that one.