POLL: Your longest day?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had a few hiking days that were more than 12 hours, but the one that seemed the longest was when three of us hiked for about 5 hours and then built an igloo. We finished after dark, were too tired to eat and after several hours of light rain with a westerly wind, the igloo collapsed on us at around 2:30 a.m. We packed up and hiked around 7 miles back to the car.

20 hours.

Mt Whitney. Got off route on Mountaineers Route and got delayed on long scramble.

Highlight: the culoir and class 3 to the summit.

Low point: concurrent vomiting and diareah near summit.

About 21 hours on the Brothers, Fort, Coe loop. That included several hours of unplanned bivouac as we lost the trail at the bottom of the Coe Slide. We had started late so it wasn't really a surprise; had just arrived in the park and concluded this would be the best day of our visit to do this hike. The weather moved in quicker than forecast and, feeling bright eyed and bushy tailed though a bit hungry at first light, passed up an OJI descent to Kidney Pond in favor of a longer safer route back to Marston Trail and the Perimeter Road.

Highly recommend everyone plan for an unplanned bivouac at some time.

One of the three, about 16 hours on my first attempt at a Pemi-traverse the month before the VFTT Presi-Traverse trip in 2006.

A trip up Zugspitze where I started the second day at Reintal Hut, went to the top, down the Hollental Valley and then continued hiking until I was back at the US Recreational and camping facility near the base

Including the ride, 22 hours from the Vernon Manchester CT line to Katahdin and then back to the health club where I started from. (one of the dumbest things I have done which is hard to pick from a litany of other dumb things)

12-13 hours (Katahdin). Early October, deteriorating conditions. Also accompanied a hiker who'd been left part way up Saddle trail while the rest of her group summitted. Waited at Chimney Pond (under the shelter) until her party showed up, so that stretched out the end of our hike.

In the Whites about 28 hours doing a winter 13-peak Pemi Loop, including Owls Head. Lots of trail breaking.

Outside the Whites ~32 +/- hours at Hardrock 100 x 3 and Barkley x 2.

OMG, I remember laughing out loud at this sentence years ago,

“3 AM: I've taken the North Lincoln exit onto route 3”

My longest was a Pemi Loop in 16 hours with West Bond and Galehead, about 32.5 miles I believe. I watched the sun set from South Twin and had the windy and dark Bonds to myself, until I almost ran into a guy in a hammock across the trail just below the scramble near Bondcliff treeline. Fun day with great conditions. I think I ate about 2,000 cal of trail mix after the hike directly before passing out. I started the hike about 10 AM. I think it was raining in the morning so I took the "Gentleman's Start." Extra headlamps.

Last edited:

I was curious who owned the NH plate. Maybe you.

Hardcore.

Edit: I have not done these races but I follow them loosely and have seen photos of the license plate wall.

Last edited:
In the Whites about 28 hours doing a winter 13-peak Pemi Loop, including Owls Head. Lots of trail breaking.

Good Lord! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Some of these are just shockingly long! When I had my longest day, (16 hrs), to imagine tacking on another 10-12 hours would have made me start to hallucinate and try cut my own arm off like in that 127 hours movie!

I was curious who owned the NH plate. Maybe you.l.

NH? Blasphemy! :D My contribution was an old “See Vermont” era VT plate.

Spencer, I used to run 100 miler ultras regularly so have had many adventures in the 16-32 hour time range.

Spencer, I used to run 100 miler ultras regularly so have had many adventures in the 16-32 hour time range.

Well you were accepted and competed in Barkley so that says it all right there. My friend is good friends with Gary Robbins. Gary ran the 93 mile Wonderland trail in less than 19 hours, yet even he couldn't finish the Barkley. As extreme as it gets!!

Vermont! Nice, I did not see that one in the partial picture.

The mystery continues I guess. :)

POLL: What is the longest day you've ever had hiking?

Eiger West Ridge -- 16 hours

Overslept in our bivvy at the base of the route and got a late start (6 AM). As a result my partner got hit by a falling ice ball 3/4s of the way up and we had to retreat.

Slowly worked our way down while the weather changed. We slogged back to Grindwald at 10 PM in the rain.

All our camping gear was locked up in the (closed) train station so we spent the night in bivvy gear on the floor of the town's public bathroom.

A fitting end to a frustrating day!
cb

I'm a piker in this crowd. 15hr whack in the ADKs on one trip. And a 15hr part trail part deep snow trailbreak whack. This would have been much shorter but for a participant who oversold his fitness and we had to feed, coax, cajole, persuade him that he had to get up and keep going every 15min as an icestorm was on its way. Midnight back to the ADK Loj, with the weather coming in the last 90min.

Longest unintentional - 16 hrs many years ago in the ADKs when my brother and I went left after the Couch Swamp and floundered on the cripplebush way off trail for a few hours on a miserably hot and buggy early July day.
Longest intentional - 14 hr solo ADK Great Range traverse on a September day in 2010 that started out as light rain to intense rain to strong winds and sleet to clearing but chilly with rainbows. I met Julia Goren at treeline below Marcy doing her summit steward duties in some crappy weather.