POLL: Your longest day?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About 13 hours on an aborted attempt on Washington, I simply was in terrible shape. My longest completed hike was The Tripyramids, that was about 10.5 hours. We went up Pine Bend Brook and down Sabbaday Brook, with most of the descent in the dark. I think we left the summit of South around 430pm, this was in October so sunset was maybe 630. Sabbaday was an awful trail, markings were pretty much nonexistent and the trail itself was very hard to follow in the dark. We finally got back to our vehicles around 930.

A few in the 16+ hour range. Longest by mileage was a Pemi loop with West Bond and North Twin (think I skipped Galehead that time) but by far the most exhausting was a 17 hour solo epic in the Santanonis 11 winters ago. I've got permanent neuropathy in my left hand from that one.

I do not remember the time (probably 20 hours or a little more). It was a "enhanced Pemi" a clockwise Pemi Loop from Lincoln Woods with side trips to Galehead, North Twin, Zealand and West Bond. I hiked it with alexmtn - who posts here. My knees were very angry at me for a stretch, though I think Alex enjoyed himself the entire way.

Have had a few in the 17-18 hour category. A 2005 Presi traverse and a 2006 Great Range traverse (see nartreb’s post) both came in around 17 hours. My 2015 Denali summit day was also pretty epic ... left high camp mid-to-late morning (can’t remember the exact hour) and rolled back in somewhere around 3 AM. Near 24 hours of daylight so the clock was pretty inconsequential.

How did I miss the original incarnation of this thread? :confused:

I do not remember the time (probably 20 hours or a little more). It was a "enhanced Pemi" a clockwise Pemi Loop from Lincoln Woods with side trips to Galehead, North Twin, Zealand and West Bond. I hiked it with alexmtn - who posts here. My knees were very angry at me for a stretch, though I think Alex enjoyed himself the entire way.

Same. I did that loop in 2019 hitting all the extra peaks. Adding Zealand was hubris. Took me 15.5 hours and the last six hours were pretty rough. That's my longest day thus far. Did the Kilkenney Ridge 50 miler in 2018 and that's a close second with 14 hours 50 minutes.

Well, let's see, our FKT of the Legendary Smarts–Cube Traverse was 8 hours, 50ish minutes.

Years earlier another friend and I had a two-day loop from the Elk Lake Trailhead up Haystack from the southish side and down to Upper Ausable Lake, up the Elevator Shaft to Blake and back to the trailhead via Pinnacle Ridge. We ended up doing it in a 14ish hour day.

Between those two hikes my partner from the first hike and I became the first to hike the 6 VT 4k'ers in a day, with a time of 20.5ish hours, but that includes driving, a solid grazing visit at the Cabot Cheese Outlet in Waterbury, and stopping at the old Richmond Corner Market for sandwiches.

Between those two hikes my partner from the first hike and I became the first to hike the 6 VT 4k'ers in a day.

Probably because there are only 5 of them;)

Last edited:
Probably because there are only 5 of them;)

Using the 200' col rule, not according to the U.S. Geodetic Survey.

:D

Hints: The sixth summit elevation is 4,062', the summit has a benchmark, it has 202' of clean prominence, and 212' of interpolated prominence.

Last edited:
15 hours. April 1992. My first hike in The Whites. Day 4 of a hike that started on the Kedron Flume Trail. The weather went from sunny in the upper 50's to freezing snow/rain and high winds. We camped somewhere on the Twinway between Guyot and South Twin on day 3. We bailed on our plan to head down to Galehead from South Twin and instead decided to go down North Twin Trail to Haystack Rd (it looked like the better choice on a map). We encountered zero visibility, post holing in deep snow and losing the trail a few times in a whiteout between South and North Twin. We thought we were in the clear when we started headed down North Twin until we got to The Little River, which was impassable. we had to stick to the Eastern (?) side of the river, bushwhacking and jumping over tributaries that were overflowing. Eventually we made it to Haystack Rd. and walked out to RT. 3 to hitch a ride back to Willey House. This was a good example of how the elements, being out of shape and unprepared can add a lot of time to your hike.

Using the 200' col rule, not according to the U.S. Geodetic Survey.

:D

Hints: The sixth summit elevation is 4,062', the summit has a benchmark, it has 202' of clean prominence, and 212' of interpolated prominence.

Well, you got me there. The only prominence I care (cared) about is the printing on the official list :D I mean, I climbed Couchie but not MacNaughton