Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Hampshire Stone Wall Project

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    White Mt National Forest is now in Stone Wall Mapper. I played around with it last night. I was right about another time suck hole. JR Henry's logging RR and skidder trails show up quite nicely. although NE and NW shading seem to have some limitations. I was studying areas around Owlshead and Franconia Brook. Here is a sample. Too bad one can't save one's work somehow. it is kind of a pain to do all that work and then have it disappear. I managed to trace out skidder trails and change map layer to topographic and produce a JPG of topo map with traced trails. Very extensive skidder trail networks.

On #67 of NE67
    On #98 of NEHH
    On #45 of WNH48

"Commuter—one who spends his life
    In riding to and from his wife;
    A man who shaves and takes a train,
    And then rides back to shave again." EB White (1899-1986)

Works for me now thru the stone wall mapper, doesn't seem to work directly through granit.

Definitely a time suck but a potentially major resource for off trail navigation.

Thank you Jazzbo for catching this so soon after the release! No time suck for me (at the moment), I'm at work and it's lunchtime. I went looking around some spots I've been to previously as well as locations I've been wanting to look into, and I'm ecstatic at what I'm seeing. Besides the RR beds, it's pretty obvious (at least where I'm looking) what the main haul roads were. I'm assuming the data through GRANIT won't be too far behind, I'm pretty excited to get a hold of the raw georeferenced data.

Wanna see something neat? On the satellite view (not lidar) there is a ghostly image of a jetliner and its contrails just north of the bridge at the south end of the Rocky Branch Trail!
    Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

Looks like the state is now fully covered with lidar DEM, with the basemap at https://granitview.unh.edu/html5view...er=granit_view , but this does not show at http://lidar.unh.edu/map/ .
    So, good news, and I'll have to update my bookmark.
    Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

Quote Originally Posted by srhigham View Post
    Looks like the state is now fully covered with lidar DEM, with the basemap at https://granitview.unh.edu/html5view...er=granit_view , but this does not show at http://lidar.unh.edu/map/ .
    So, good news, and I'll have to update my bookmark.
    I misspoke...at that site,"statewide hillshade" is statewide complete (and very useful). But "regional hillshade" and "regional shaded relief" is statewide incomplete, and the regional "digital elevation" is also incomplete, blurry and not useful.
    Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    Quote Originally Posted by srhigham View Post
    I misspoke...at that site,"statewide hillshade" is statewide complete (and very useful). But "regional hillshade" and "regional shaded relief" is statewide incomplete, and the regional "digital elevation" is also incomplete, blurry and not useful.
    Seems to be some confusion about who is hosting the site. Management of site was transferred to NHDES - not UNH which I think is associated with GRANIT. Of course text on website refers to GRANIT which I suppose is UNH, but actual site is now hosted by NH DES. One problem with Stonewalls Mapper is no way to record other features of landscape i.e. skidder trails and RR beds which are as much of historical artifact as are the stonewalls. All are relics of today's landscape built by hard working people who struggled to survive by blood sweat and tears and made NH what it is today.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #98 of NEHH
    On #45 of WNH48

"Commuter—one who spends his life
    In riding to and from his wife;
    A man who shaves and takes a train,
    And then rides back to shave again." EB White (1899-1986)

This time for real:

Database Update: Umbagog LIDAR collection
    Date/Time(s): May 23, 2019
    Event Type: GRANIT News
    URL: http://lidar.unh.edu
    The long-awaited Umbagog LIDAR data is now available. Please visit the GRANIT LiDAR data distribution site (see URL above) for more information.
    Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

I was able to confirm Larry Garland's number of 3995' for Tecumseh (not doubting Larry by any stretch, just checking that my methods aren't mussed up), and Guyot indeed lacks the prominence at the Bond col. Trying to find time to check some other things (Sandwich Dome, Lincoln prominence and S. Hancock prominence).

And then there were 46...

First off, I screwed up the Guyot calculation. It's goofy looking terrain, and I must have picked the wrong col.

So here's the data for what I was interested in. This is basically searching elevation data with a mouse, so I wouldn't call it definitive, but I'm guessing (unless I picked a wrong spot) to be accurate within a foot.

Tecumseh: 3994.6'

Bondcliff: 4262.8'
    Bondcliff-Bond col: 4042.7'
    Prominence: 220.1'

West Bond: 4517.5
    West Bond-Bond col: 4301.8
    Prominence: 215.7'

south Guyot: 4564.1'
    north Guyot: 4581.4'
    Guyot-Bond col: 4344.4'
    Guyot-S. Twin col: 4361.9'
    Prominence: 219.5'

Sandwich: 3960.6'

Lincoln: 5078.5'
    Lincoln-Lafayette col: 4899.5'
    Prominence: 179'

south S. Hancock: 4257.4'
    north S. Hancock: 4246.6'
    S. Hancock-N. Hancock col 4078.3'
    Prominence: 179.1'

Soooo, add Guyot, remove Tecumseh, and as most have suspected/known for some time, also remove Lincoln and S. Hancock.

If you want to be accurate and such.