Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Hampshire Stone Wall Project

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    One reason NH Granit shows Owlshead RR so well is it uses Microsoft Bing Maps Imagery. I came across Bing Maps one time. MS Bing Maps seems to use mostly late winter or early spring imagery meaning no foliage. Another benefit to off trail explorers is you can tell where the hardwoods are - my favorite terrain. One way to find best terrain for off-trail routing.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #98 of NEHH
    On #45 of WNH48

"Commuter—one who spends his life
    In riding to and from his wife;
    A man who shaves and takes a train,
    And then rides back to shave again." EB White (1899-1986)

The Lidar hillshade implementation is interesting here because it's a built-in layer. Easy to use. I've used N.H., Maine, and Vermont raw Lidar data before to see things in the woods, but to do it I have to download massive data sets (last-return/ bare ground), then use QGIS freeware to convert that into 2-foot contours. It's a long process. But the drawback of this hillshade implementation seems to be that you lose the detail in the deep shade on steep slopes...unless there's a way to "rotate" the sun.

Good news that the rest of N.H. is being completed for Lidar. I've been frustrated with what's missing in the northeast quadrant of the state.
    Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

Now I see that it does allow movement of the shade: there is a layer for NE shade and a layer for NW shade.
    Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

I expect real time processing of shading would burn up a lot of processor time.

Are the maps still available? I wanted to check out a logging road, and can't find any of the LiDAR stuff. Was very useful earlier in the year.

Oh yeah....the site is password protected now!
    Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

If you're just looking for LiDAR "imagery", go to Granit View, then:

Click on View Layers
    Check the Elevation box
    Check the Regional Elevation box
    Check the Regional LiDAR box
    Choose the Hillshade or Shaded Relief boxes

Salty

I was wondering what happened to the Swipe feature so I contacted someone who informed me Stone Wall Mapper site has been moved to NH DES server and will be managed by them in future. He responded as follows:

We moved the stone wall mapper to a different organization today, sorry you missed the notification. But if you update your link to this: https://nhdes.maps.arcgis.com/apps/w...ca0662456dffb0 it should not require any sign-in.

Granite View still has LIDAR, but not Stone Wall Mapper.

FYI I inquired about the Swipe feature and how I wished I could swipe back and forth between Topo and LIDAR he responded as follows:

In regards to the the split screen, I'm not sure I know to what you are referring. Is it the Swipe Widget? If yes, then it is an ArcGIS Online tool that we have enabled for the Stone Wall Mapper and may not be available in other LiDAR viewers. For example, swiping is not available in our GRANITView mapper because it is based on different software.

As a result of the site migration yesterday, we are no longer the group who maintains it. That chore has transferred to the NH Department of Environmental Services. But the USA Topo service should be visible to you, as long as the map scale is not too large (i.e. zoomed in, the maximum view scale is 1:18,056). Most map services have zoom scales and once a defined scale is exceeded, the image no longer shows. I am able to view the USA Topo layer and swipe the hillshade (the topo is not swipeable because it is a base layer).
    Last edited by Jazzbo; 03-02-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #98 of NEHH
    On #45 of WNH48

Awesome, thanks for the updated information, Jazzbo.

Ooooo. This makes me so happy. Thanks for the new link. I find it to be a great hiking research tool.

I inquired with my contact at UNH an additional question of interest to explorers of WMNF

Sorry to bother you again. Is there any plans to LiDAR White Mt National Forest region? LiDAR data would provide many benefits to users of the national forest. I explore area around Tripoli Road and noticed LiDAR cuts off south of Mount Osceola ridge line. I was able to verify I my GPS track indeed followed part of route of old road to former fire tower on Mount Osceola and could detect possible route it took. LiDAR shows old skidder roads which could be re-purposed as hiking trails. LiDAR could also be valuable to Search and Rescue operations.

To which DJ responded

Yes, that area has been acquired and will become available sometime in the near future. We are awaiting the data from the USGS (the government shutdown delayed things a lot). Maybe we will have it in the late spring (although it was supposed to be delivered last December...).
    On #67 of NE67
    On #98 of NEHH
    On #45 of WNH48

There is a series of articles in today's Conway Daily Sun about stone walls and the "sheep boom". https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...6ac269.pdf.pdf. Definitely worth checking it out.

One of the articles on page 4 states the missing block in Eastern NH from Conway to Berlin is accessible as of this week.

I just went on the stone wall project and this area is still missing but perhaps someone with more experience with the site can find it.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 05-05-2019 at 08:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    There is a series of articles in today's Conway Daily Sun about stone walls and the "sheep boom". https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...6ac269.pdf.pdf. Definitely worth checking it out.
    Great articles, thanks. The book "Reading the Forested Landscape" shown in one, is a great piece of work.

I was on Stonewall Mapper last night and LIDAR imagery wasn't available. I think they must be working on the database. I profited from recently from mapper in that I was able to find logging road beforehand in area I was visiting. I went off in direction and sure enough there was the old road and I knew where it would end up. I was looking for cellar holes of abandoned farms up around Guinea Hill in Sandwich. I failed to find them on the ground but after uploading my GPS track I was able to see how I missed them and now can go back and know right where to find them. Pretty cool stuff!!!
    On #67 of NE67
    On #98 of NEHH
    On #45 of WNH48

Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    Great articles, thanks. The book "Reading the Forested Landscape" shown in one, is a great piece of work.
    Yes -- and the author, Tom Wessels, is available to present a short slideshow based on his book, followed up with multi-hour, hands-on presentation in the woods. Pretty cool.
    Last edited by Barkingcat; 05-09-2019 at 07:11 AM.