South Taconic Trail in Winter - Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
Anyone ever spent time on the South Taconic in winter?
Is it accessible from the Mt Frissell side, or only the NY side?
Just curious how far down they plow that road on the Massachusetts side.

Thanks much.

I've gone down to the lot for Frissell/Bear in Winter like conditions (I believe it was mid to late FEB). It was plowed to the lot (where they apparently stop because there was a huge snow bank in the road there). I would also point out that the road for much of it's length was dirt and was a muddy shit show even with an AWD vehicle and it was not plowed very wide. And it is a LONG approach from the MA side. Only time I've been down there so I don't know if this was "typical" or not.

Hi all,
Anyone ever spent time on the South Taconic in winter?
Is it accessible from the Mt Frissell side, or only the NY side?
Just curious how far down they plow that road on the Massachusetts side.

Thanks much.

It is accessible from both sides although plowing on the NY side towards the southern end may be an issue. The southern auxiliary trail on the NY side going up to the South Taconic trail is very steep. In the fall, the loose leaves, loose silt, and the incline climbing up from NY conspire to make the trail slippery even if dry. (But not so much on trailhead for Mt Alander on the NY side). On the steeps, much of the South Taconic is bedrock and will be treacherous when icy from solar melt and warm temperatures.

On the north end you end up on a ski trail at Catamount. I don't think they will be pleased to see you. The trail does rely on easements from private landowners at some points. I recall that the climb down BB falls to the state campsite crosses private land. The land owner put up a no trespassing sign for legal reasons.

Nonetheless it is very enjoyable. I prefer to access it from Mount Washington State Park , or from the Mt Alander Trailhead on the NY side..then head south or north as I please. Its full of side trails.

Important note- Mt Washington Road is gated at Salisbury and Frissel trailhead (CT/MA line) in the fall.

Last edited: