POLL: Is there anything more annoying than this?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
When you see a patch of a mountain, state, or mountain range and the imagery looks absolutely nothing like the climate or geology of it.
I saw a Vermont patch that showed mountains which looked like the Austrian Alps and it really frosts my ass.
I remember seeing one for the Catskills and they might as well have used artwork depicting a bottle of Windex because that's how much the mountains on the patch looked anything like the Catskills.

Sorry your annoyed. But where is the poll? Not sure if this board supports it anymore but there use to be a way to create one. Usually I just don’t bother with a patch if it does not evoke an impressionable image for me but I don’t get annoyed.

Last edited:
The cost to develop fresh artwork and the specific files for the embroidery is not cheap. If someone is making a small run they can buy a hybrid which uses stock art with custom lettering. I have also seen where the art looks good but the actual product supplied was lousy. Many patches come out of the third world and the company that takes the order is just a broker and they shop it around to the cheapest supplier, price is king and quality is way low down.

What frosts me (slightly), as a bird watcher, is inappropriate or downright wrong bird songs in movies.

Interestingly enough some of the best birdsong in a movie/series was Ann of Green Gables. Some of the birds may have been a bit north of their range, but they were all possible and all from rare or beautiful songbirds.

Last edited:
The first time I saw "The Deer Hunter" I wondered where in Pennsylvania they went deer hunting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur94GUaOjL8

There was a similar thread on 14ers.com a while back, this movie always come to mind for me. Great Mt. Baker shots in it. If I am channel surfing and pass this movie I will stop on it if they are doing the Cascade scenes. I assumed the industrial scenes were supposed to be in Tacoma when I first saw that film, but later read it was supposed to take place in Pennsylvania. Aside : Very good but very dark movie.

There are plenty of things more annoying, but visions of the Tetons or the Swiss Matterhorn on Adirondack t-shirts is worth an eye role. I put hiking over frozen post holes in the same category. Mildly annoying, but I do not feel entitled to groomed trails when go into the back country. But that is another thread that has been beaten to death on various hiking forums.

In response to your question.... Postholers

Fair enough! Good point :)

This thread was a bit tongue in cheek and facetious, I just think it's silly when there is a ___ place depicting ___ mountain and it's just so off. Like a Himalaya shirt with a backdrop photo of the Dead Sea.

Patches, we don't need no stinking patches! Ok, I have my NH and New England one but would never wear them. I'm allergic to bling. While postholes are annoying, I'm more annoyed from my house to the trailhead, whether it's a four hour or longer trip of just a drive over to the local rail trail.