North Fork Mountain Trail / Monongahela National Forest

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DayTrip

Reaction score
I'll be doing a work trip to Ohio and Kentucky in the third week in March and was looking to set aside a day on my way home to try out another area for hiking. I was hoping to return to North Carolina but consulting the map it really is too far out of the way to realistically add without significantly extending the trip. I noticed I'll be traveling near Monongahela National Forest so I did a "best hikes" search of that area and a common topic was the North Fork Mountain Trail. Looking at photos it reminded of the Showengunks in NY (an awesome hike recommended to me here) so I'm thinking that might be the hike.

Has anyone here done all or part of this hike? I'm thinking I'd day hike and probably start at the North end and do an out and back, which appears to have more views and features based on trip reports I read. Appreciate any feedback on this or any other hikes in the area. I know absolutely nothing about West Virginia. Thanks in advance.

Nine years ago, I offered to drive someones car from massachusetts to florida.
I thought it would be great to check out some new places and visit friends along the way.

Years before that, I saw a poster of Seneca Rocks in a local rock climbing gym and was like wow, i would like to check that out some day !
I started researching ( like you ) what else was in the area and North fork was one of them.

I ended up spending 3 nights in a motel in that area.
It was late December and I was solo so, there was no way I was doing any rock climbing, I just wanted to see it.
I spent one day hiking trails up to and around Seneca Rocks. It's a very impressive rock formation and worth a visit.

I didn't hike it but, Spuce Knob, the high point of West Virginia is very close by.

I spent another day looking for North Fork Mtn. trail.
I couldn't tell you where I parked and even though I had a gps, it took a long time to find it.
The roads were very steep and winding and a very " hillbilly " area.
In fact, after I found and left the trailhead, I wondered if all my windows would be intact ( mass plates ) when I returned.
Well, they were and it was a very nice hike !
Pretty uneventful until you reach the rim and then, it was like wow ! The terrain and rock formations were something I have never seen before.
Good stuff ! A liitle out of the way from florida but, I glad I checked it out.

p.s. if you want to fit in, in WV , wear camo.
lots of camo !100_2685.jpg

PM me for more photos. I just can't get them to load right now.

Last edited: