The wood fired pizza place in Gorham is closed

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Mountain Fire Pizza appears to have closed for good in Gorham. They were a nice option compared to Mr Pizza, they didnt push alcohol but normally had a better selection of local beers rather then the faux kraft beers offered at Mr Pizza. The only other pizza place other than Mr Pizza near there is Gorham House of Pizza on RT 2 west in the old KFC. Its of the Greek pizza variety and definitely not a replacement. They do not have a liquor license. Mountain Fire stuck with wood fired pizza without a lot of other menu items but seemed to have reasonable business. It was staffed by extended family and I think a lot of the kids were of college age so it may have been a staffing issue. It didnt seem to get much of the ATV crowd.

Mary's Pizza is amazingly still in business in Cascade Flats. I have no idea what their hours are.

That's a surprise from the crowds I'd sometimes see there. Tough town to survive in the restaurant business. I'm a fan of GHOP but I rarely get pizza there. I really like the BBQ place in the old Pizza Hut. We'll see if they can hold on. Mr. Pizza does consistently well even if I would rank it 4/4 in the area for pizza. Or now, 3 of 3 I suppose. They have the bar.

I'm a bit of a creature of habit but I still lean towards the WMC in the morning, J's for dinner, Saalt is unparalleled, and GHOP for subs, gyros.

Make sure you try Noona's Kitchen on Exchange Street in Gorham Its getting a lot of buzz. WMUR had a poll and it was rated best Italian in NH. For folks who have been around the area for awhile its in the old Moonbeam Cafe location. Folks who have been there say plan on bringing as much home with you as you eat. Its price level is higher then Mr Pizza but lower than Liz's Bistro.

Oh no! Very sad to read this, I'd always swing by for a few Allagash Blacks and a Greek pizza after doing any hike in the Pinkham/Northern Presi area. Anyone I took there always joked about how they put the wood fire oven front and center, but dang if it didn't make some of the best pizza I've had in NH.

Hopefully the owner is just going onto bigger better things. He worked for the local steel fabricator and started the wood fired pizza business out of trailer that he hauled to various fairs around the region. The actual restaurant had been gutted and rebuilt with new equipment by a prior owner who was far better at renovation then running a barbeque joint. He did some of the renovation with local economic development grants and I believe that when the first owner went out of business, the economic development group was on the hook for the loan. It went through one more short term owner and then was vacant for awhile. I had heard that they made some sort of deal with the pizza shop to have low rent for an extended period to let him try out the business in a fixed location. He built the oven himself and was in business for at least 10 years. I don't know what he worked out for ownership of the building. The building has been actively on sale for a few months. Its too late for ski season so I expect any sale would occur in preparation for the summer season. It does have major drawback to some potential owners as it has limited parking. ATV folks really like to park their ATVSs right in the lot instead of along the street. The BBQ place down the road and Mr Pizza are both targeting the ATV crowd so it may be that there just isn't enough business during the slow seasons to cover expenses and taxes.

Make sure you try Noona's Kitchen on Exchange Street in Gorham Its getting a lot of buzz. WMUR had a poll and it was rated best Italian in NH. For folks who have been around the area for awhile its in the old Moonbeam Cafe location. Folks who have been there say plan on bringing as much home with you as you eat. Its price level is higher then Mr Pizza but lower than Liz's Bistro.

Challenge accepted! I have yet to eat at a restaurant where I took home that much in left overs. In fact, I almost never have left overs. :) Have to check that place out.

FWIW we had mixed experience at Nonna's Kitchen - i had the special of the day which was a pork and red sauce creation which was great, but the rest of the crew's chicken parms were way too overfried and just so-so. Mary's Pizza has heavenly homemade pasta and I rarely eat pasta so that's saying something, but it's closed on Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays so I don't know how they stay in business. The Road Hawg BBQ place (in the former Pizza Hut building) was decent for pulled pork sandwiches, affordable and fast.