Hale and Zealand, 2-16-19

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
We started up the Zealand Rd around 6:30am on Saturday morning, in snowshoes. There were only three cars in the parking lot, and we didn't see or hear any snowmobiles before we reached the Hale Brook Trail. Snowshoes were necessary.

There was one set of tracks up the trail, which felt unbroken. The steep side traverse was rather gnarly, as the newly-fallen snow wanted to slide rather than condense, and getting up Hale was a bit of work--although we crossed over the brook without noticing it! Never heard it, never saw it.

Five of us started out, but two turned around, as neither was feeling all that great.

Three of us reached the summit and then continued down Lend-a-Hand. There was a bit of route finding, as the snow was so high that finding the line wasn't always easy or obvious.

At the junction with the Twinway, my two friends turned left, went to the Zealand Falls Hut, and departed, and I continued up alone. The trail up was barely broken. One person in snowshoes, one barebooting (and looking unhappy from the likes of the sinking). A few minutes later I encountered the hut caretaker and her friend. She was in snowshoes. They had gone up to Zeacliff.

Past Zeacliff, nothing was broken out. There was quite a bit of snow, and hence quite a bit of pushing through tree branches that are normally above head-height above the trail. Fortunately, I knew the trail well, since again, route finding wasn't always obvious.

The blue sign indicating the turnoff to Zealand was half under snow! The Zealand sign was about shin-height.

By the time I got back to Zeacliff, others had been up, and the trail out was a nice highway, especially below the hut. I know that at least four others did Zealand on Sunday, and some others went up Lend-a-Hand.

Boy there is a lot of snow up there right now!

Snowshoes are a must, microspikes are also a necessary item.

Happy hiking!

Brian

Thanks for this report Brian. Up until a few years ago every winter I would ski in to the hut and usually part way down below Whitewall cliffs to the big flat boulder that sits astraddle the old RR right of way and back out as a nice day trip. Now that I am too old tor that stuff I occasionally through trip reports, re-live vicariously these places which I still love, but alas no longer am able to visit. I made that trip so often that I can recall almost every foot of the route. Thanks for the memories. Tom

The stretch between the hut and the parking lot is one of my favorite in all of the White Mountains. I got to hike it purely by moonlight, without a headlamp, and it was magical.