And then there were 47?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand, what I'm getting at is that this guy already had planned poorly to the point where he had to go significantly out of his way to grab water (instead of filling up at Galehead or managing his supply more efficiently) and ended up in an area that required cash to camp as night was approaching. An extra mile with negligible elevation gain when you're already behind to see West Bond seems like a gimme. Thru hikers have more of an excuse than someone working on the 48 but it just seemed crazy to me being that close to such a remote, low-effort summit (if you're up there already) and having zero interest in it. To be fair I don't find the AT appealing at all so to each their own, everyone hikes for different reasons.

He may not have finished.

There are far more people who start a thru hike than actually finish. Those spending too much time investigating side trips don't finish. There are many, many worthy side trips along the 2,000+ mile trail. One needs to pick and choose carefully. You also summit some 300+ mountains on the AT. The idea of taking side trips from a mountain trail to see another mountain is not a common choice.

People sometimes point out that thru hikers will do 100+ miles a week but want a hitch for a 5 mile road walk to town. It may seem counterintuitive but it's the same reason no one is running 7 miles to the start of today's Boston Marathon.

I took some side trips on the AT but they were chosen carefully and in advance for the most part. Parts of Gulf Hagas, some side trips in the Whites I had not visited, etc. At some point, thru hikers become more likely to go out of their way for a buffet than a view. You're in it at that point.

I think the Whites will see two lists, the formal NH48 which I predict remains where it now stands. I also expect a new pursuit of the Actual NH 4,000 footers based on precise elevation data. I expect this remains an informal list.

Some of NH's best kept secrets are not in that list. Mountains such as...

Out of general principle I have avoided climbing Cupsuptic Snow as my 100 highest award predates a past revision of the list where it and Kennebago Divide replaced Middle Abraham with its far more impressive summit with view compared to Cupsuptic Snow. I think the other one displaced was one of the Horns on Bigelow.

Raven's observation on AT thru hikers is spot on. Most thru hikers seem to switch their thinking somewhere after trail days in Damascus VA. VA is nice place to spend a couple of weeks in the spring but 554 miles and 7 to 8 weeks (1/4 of the trail) is pushing it especially as much of it is green tunnel with a couple of viewpoints. The term the "Virginia Blues" used to be used to describe the mental transition from a short term goal to a much longer long term goal of making it to Maine. I think the "tourists" have headed home and the serious folks realize its a "job" they need to do if they want to get to Maine and that means cranking out daily miles which means fewer side trails and blue blazes.

Last edited:
A pretty standard regret I have heard from many "listers" is they wish they had waited until better weather when they did the first round. Many end up revisiting summits for a second time just so they can see what they missed. I didn't submit my paperwork until I been to all the summits on days that I had a reasonable view (from those summits with views).

Must admit, I have walked past the actual summit of Zealand more than few times as I have always felt that the Zealand summit was a contrivance to keep people from roaming around woods and trashing the area. When I first visited it, there was no real path or sign.

Must admit, I have walked past the actual summit of Zealand more than few times as I have always felt that the Zealand summit was a contrivance to keep people from roaming around woods and trashing the area. When I first visited it, there was no real path or sign.

That summit cairn moves around quite a bit to make room for camping. It's never in the same place.

Zealand - When we bagged Zealand on the way to the Bonds, I don't remember a cairn at the "summit". There was a "Zealand" sign on a tree and directly beneath it was a huge pile of moose poop. Moose are known to have poor vision.

West Bond - I wouldn't criticize someone else's decision to skip it. In the interest of safety it can be a very wise move. Camping nearby at Guyot I was fortunate to have enjoyed it at sunset but, under certain circumstances, I would have skipped it as I have a few landmarks with the notion that this is a terrific place and excuse to come back.

Lists - Peakbagging and redlining are perhaps mental disorders which I happily admit to and when it comes to new lists and old lists, why choose??? Do both. Admitting to such a state of health is a perfect excuse for a tequila tailgate for there are plenty of great stories without inchworming through the minutiae.

One Zealand memory. I was working with someone on the winter 48 and the forecast was for clouds. We had reservations at Zealand Hut the night before so we headed in. The hike up From the hut to Zealand was typical winter conditions but in the clouds. As we approached the high spot at Zealand we had a spot of blue sky over us. Once we got to the high spot on the trail we had solid undercast at just under 4K feet. We dropped down in the saddle and were back the clouds again and then came out at Guyot, Bond and West Bond. I think it was mountain photography session on Mt Washington that weekend and someone from VFTT possible Dave Metsky was up at the seminar so I got some nice verification of the undercast.

I have never done the AT but as stated above, staying focused and avoiding side trips must be key. I have driven across country a few times. I learned early on, that to many side trips can turn it into quite a lengthy drive time wise. You have to decide before you start, do I want to take my time and see stuff, or get to CA in less then 4 days?

It sounds to me like it's not really all that different than hiking the NH 48 and skipping things like Hight, Clay and Guyot.

Tim

Tim,

I think that's an excellent analogy if you also make the NH48 pursuit a "direttissima" or another continuous end to end hike or something like the SSW48 where there becomes a noticeable and cumulative cost for too many side miles.