171mph on Mt. Washington, Feb 25, 2019

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Wow!

From the Observatory just after 7pm on 2-25-19:
Current peak wind is 171mph! Surpassing the previous February wind record (166 MPH set in 1972).

Brian

Doesn’t Mount Washington still have the World Land wind speed record?

171 MPH is awesome! Would be fun to go get a tattoo up there right now Lol.

In my opinion, Washington still holds the record. The Cyclone (hurricane) in Australia should be disqualifying for the same reasons that Tornados are discounted in terms of this record.
As far as non-Hurricane/Tornado circumstances, Washington holds the wind speed record.

I think the OBS is having some wind speed data issues, they are showing 0 MPH windspeed at 3 PM on Tuesday. I am about 7 miles from the summit and although the summits are visible, the clouds are cranking by at fast clip and the wind is still pretty stiff down low (my guess is 20 to 30 mph) at 1400 feet. My guess is the equipment is froze up with freezing fog.

I think the OBS is having some wind speed data issues, they are showing 0 MPH windspeed at 3 PM on Tuesday. I am about 7 miles from the summit and although the summits are visible, the clouds are cranking by at fast clip and the wind is still pretty stiff down low (my guess is 20 to 30 mph) at 1400 feet. My guess is the equipment is froze up with freezing fog.
The anenometer blew off the side of the mountain and they are looking for it in Greenland.:eek:

In my opinion, Washington still holds the record. The Cyclone (hurricane) in Australia should be disqualifying for the same reasons that Tornados are discounted in terms of this record.
As far as non-Hurricane/Tornado circumstances, Washington holds the wind speed record.

Tornadoes are disqualified because they are measured using Doppler radar instead of direct measurement.

I think you have to count hurricane winds. They are steady with gusts. Tornadoes are different beasts.

Fair enough.
I think that Australia's wind had been doping and was on steroids though, so that wind should nonetheless be disqualified from the record! :D