Anyone had a battery replaced on a PLB?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I have McMurdo Fast Find 220 PLB that is getting old enough for a battery replacement. From research on the web it looks like the official batteries are right up with the cost of a new one. There is a Youtube video of someone building a battery pack but only part 1. Looking at the video the majority of the case is occupied by the battery pack.

Anyone get a battery replaced yet?.

I expect its a throw away and buy a new one once it fails the self test. I don't think its obsolescent in any way as its got all the current frequencies and GPS tagging.

Last edited:
I had my ACR PLB battery replaced by a marine servicing company in RI that i found via the OEM's website. The service cost me ~ $130 I believe.

The PLB is a brick, so I might be tempted to buy a more compact version next time the battery comes due.

That said, I have done the self-test function in the woods and I was very happy with how the PLB GPS coordinates in the LED matched up vs my handheld GPS and my map coordinates.

So the LED feature does add a bit of confidence/comfort.