Alligator Eggs on Wittenberg!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've seen this mentioned. (For those who are new, it was a 'not so secret sign', that you were a member here). In any case, we started up Wittenberg around 8:15, and went there and to Cornell. The snow was packed down at first, but eventually the wind had blown the track in almost completely, and we were glad we were wearing snowshoes. We needed crampons in a few tough spots on Cornell (we went around the Crack, but I butt slid back down!). We noticed that another hiker had been to Wittenberg and then turned around while we were out and back to Cornell. When we got back to the trail register, (which has FINALLY been replaced with a new one, thank you DEC!), around 4:00, there was a single name in the register, and they had written "Alligator Eggs?" beside our name! This made we wonder who it might have been?

If you're still reading, let me know!

Still reading vftt, tho not as regularly as when pursuing the w46 & HH.

Tom, Alligator Eggs?
It's a code phrase you can say while hiking to strangers to indicate that you are from VFTT. If they are from VFTT they will recognize the phrase. It was either this or purple shoe laces? Something like that, but the majority settled on Alligator Eggs.

It's a code phrase you can say while hiking to strangers to indicate that you are from VFTT. If they are from VFTT they will recognize the phrase. It was either this or purple shoe laces? Something like that, but the majority settled on Alligator Eggs.

From VFTT? You make it sound like if your "ON" this board your from another planet....Well on second thought given each of our own individual eccentricities there may be some validity to your statement.:eek::D

I seem to remember another tradition where Snicker bars were to be handed out when encountering VFTT members in the wild. One year I knew there were a bunch of VFTT folks out on a presi traverse so I set up around the southerly junction of Gulfside on Jefferson with a bag of Snickers and handed them out but expect most went to folks that weren't VFTT members. I still have Roadtrippers VFTT.com T shirt design but its got permanent hard earned hiker grunge so it only gets used on special occasions.

Seeing the WWW 30th anniversary yesterday reminds me that I probably joined VFTT.com somewhere around 1991 and went to the first VFTT gathering in Eustis (cant remember the year).

Wonder if VFTT will make it to its 30th? I hope TS Elliot's quote will not apply

“This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.”

But I expect like VFTT's illegitimate step child, Rocks on Top it may.

Last edited: