Snowpack this year along the AT in Connecticut?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John in NH

Reaction score
What kind of snowpack there is right now in Connecticut along the AT? I was thinking of hitting that area for a section hike early this season, and although snow is fine, don't want to hit it with lots mushy snow and deep ponding. Being from NH I have no idea what its like over there. Thanks.

I haven't directly been on the CT AT but I've done various sections of Taconic Trail in similar areas and elevations and they did get a decent amount of snow. Was probably 2-3' when I was last out there maybe 3-4 weeks ago. I'd expect it probably is pretty wet and mushy. I live in NE CT and up until 2 days ago I had a foot of snow in my yard and on the local trails. It has melted and muddied up big time the past few days.

In the middle of Connecticut, along the Connecticut River, there are 1-3 inches of snow in the northern third of the state (from photos of a friend hiking the New England Trail), and no snow whatsoever on the ground in Middletown. Not this week, but next week, Connecticut is looking at highs in the upper-50s low-60s, with lows in the 40s.

So very shortly, there will either be no snow, or trace with a hint of monorail here and there.

Brian

Northwest Connecticut did not get much in the way of pure snowstorms this winter. Mostly, we had snow turning to rain events. This meant that there wasn't much of a snowpack built up.

Presently the snow cover is very patchy, and thin where it exists. Much more prevalent on trails is ice. Light traction would be useful right now, but I would expect that in a couple weeks you won't even need that. Since there wasn't a lot of snow build up, the melt should drain relatively quickly, and I wouldn't expect the mud to take long to firm up.

TomK