Lower elevation peak suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanbu

Reaction score
I'm looking to broaden my horizons beyond popular peakbagging lists.

I'd love to hear suggestions for VT-NH-ME lower peaks (under 3800') that offer favored attributes: good views, old growth forest, distinctive terrain, brooks and streams, places of special/historical interest, fire tower, loop possibilities. A peak combining several attributes is great, but even one is fine.

I also find a strange attraction to mountains that offer an unusual or shapely profile when viewed from afar.

One peak I want to visit is Chocorua, which I once climbed in cloudy conditions-basically saw nothing over 30 feet away. Another is Mt Cube which looks nice from the photos I've seen. Ascutney, too.

My greatest aversions are overly crowded trails, trash, deeply eroded foot beds. (I make an exception for Monadnock due to long-time love of that mountain. And there's something special about glimpsing skyscrapers from afar, at least for me.)

Suggestions, please!

Seconding the 52WAV list (of which Chocorua is a member peak), but I admit I'm biased. :cool:

There are almost too many options to list ... The spectacular loop over the Baldfaces immediately come to mind, although they are becoming more popular now. In fact, the entire Evans Notch area is wonderful.

Cube is a great mountain. If you go, don't miss the north peak.

So many others ... Middle Sugarloaf, Percy Peaks, Mt. Parker, Shelburne Moriah, Crawford / Stairs / Resolution, Israel, Paugus, Iron Mountain, Smarts Mountain, Black Mountain (Benton), Mt. Success ...

Southern NH has lots of little gems like French's Ledges in Plainfield, Neville Peak in Epsom, Rose Mountain in Lyndeborough, Cliff Walk on North Pack Monadnock, lesser traveled peaks in the Ossipees like Bayle Mountain and Flagg Mountain, Whiteface Mountain in Wolfeboro, Whiteface Mountain in Gilford, Parker Mountain in Strafford, tiny hikes with good views like Clark Lookout in New London and Banks Pinnacle in Grafton ...

Mount's Kearsarge (North) near or in Conway NH and Kearsarge (South) in Warner NH are both excellent destinations. South, Middle, North Moat are far more rewarding than the usual 4K peaks. I find it depressing to see how beat up the principal trails look compared to less visited trails.

Last edited:
Both Kearsarges are indeed great, but I didn't mention them as it sounds like the OP is looking for options away from crowds.

I'm looking to broaden my horizons beyond popular peakbagging lists.

(I make an exception for Monadnock due to long-time love of that mountain. And there's something special about glimpsing skyscrapers from afar, at least for me.)

Suggestions, please!

I share your passion for Monadnock. It has been at least a weekly thing for me for the last 15 or so years. Here is a pic of the Boston skyline taken last weekend. About the clearest view I have had in all those years.Boston skyline very prominent today.jpg

Great suggestions. A couple not yet mentioned:
Roger's Ledge via Mill Brook: Views, brooks and streams
Webster Slide via Wachipauka Pond/Webster Slide: Views, loop options using Old AT routes and rail trail.
Sunday River Whitecap: Views

Other suggestions...

Piermont Mountain in Piermont (private trail but open to hikers)
Hedgehog Ridge / Wilson Hill in Deering
Clark Summit in Deering
Pine Mountain in Alton
Pine Mountain in Gorham
Pitcher Mountain in Stoddard
Jackson Hill in Stoddard
Silver Mountain in Lempster
Jerry Hill in Concord
Carr Mountain in Warren

Thanx for so many suggestions, lots to look into, loads to check out. A lifetime plus to enjoy!

Kerry13. Ooooo, love that photo. Got out a magnifying glass to see the tiny scrapers. Brought back nice memories.

I once was on the summit of Monadnock at sunrise, had a great view towards Boston. I could have believed I saw the ocean that day, maybe it was a general reflection from the newly risen sun. But the scrapers were crystal clear. I used binoculars to get a good view. My eyes were better back then, I think I could make the buildings out with the unaided eye. Probably couldn't do that now.

Another outstanding Monadnock memory--the snarling bobcat I saw on the White Cross/Dot trail clost to treeline. Sure didn't like my presence. Scared me. Only time I've seen a bobcat in the wild.

The Baldface loop, the Percy Peaks, and Crawford/Stairs are probably my favorite 3K hikes in NH thus far.
Howker Ridge Trail (a less traveled alternate route up Madison) is a real gem, even if you only ascend to the 4th Howk at 4315.

The Percy Peaks in Nash Stream meet some of the criteria but definitely are a long haul even if you are camping in the whites and no buildings in sight. Great views and rarely climbed. Rumford Whitecap in Maine is a geological oddity with 360 views. Not a long hike but worth it in blueberry season as its the best mountain for blueberries I have found. Sunday River Whitecap in Grafton Notch via the maintainers path has 360 views and is not that hard if you use the unofficial maintainers route (its 18 miles round trip via Grafton Loop trail versus far shorter via the maintainer path. (search VFTT for Sunday River Whitecap for my post with detailed directions). Tumbledown north of Rumford Maine has nice loop. it has prominent summit and looks a lot taller than it is. There is a very scenic mountain Pond just below the summit. Busy on fall weekends.

Chocorua has multiple routes but is very busy. You need to go very early to summit before 11AM preferably before 10:30 and both Champney Falls from the Kanc and trips starting from the Piper Trail head are very busy.

Also, check out the 3 Pawtuckaway Mountains in southern NH. Nice trails & fire tower on south peak. Best during the week,but lots of bugs in late spring & summer.

Baldface sounds really nice. I never heard of it before. Don't even know where it is, gather it's near the NH/ME border, but is NOT the same as Baldpate. I've seen a few pics here and there on VFTT. Would appreciate a link to a nice trip report with pics. My AMC guide is half way around the world from my present location...

Improved trails with a reward of a view, interesting geology or history are going to attract hikers. It can be a matter of when you go, not where you go. Weekends are the most crowded, obviously, but other times for more solitude are weekdays, during school year, bad weather (can still be hazardous under 3800') ... think of times you'd rather do something else and that may suggest some good times!

Moosehead Lake in Maine is ringed by mountains which, compared to the Whites, stand alone so each is a hike in itself: Big Spencer, Little Spencer, Moose, Eagle Cliff, Little Moose, Number 4, etc. I believe there is a trail under development and maybe under construction in areas that will link many of these mountains in a large loop around the lake. Loops which incorporate the AT's 100 mile wilderness along with gravel logging roads are possible and the permutations are limited only by your imagination and navigation skills. Nearby is a B-52 crash site memorialized and maintained by the local snowmobile club and Gulf Hagas is a fascinating hike, not challenging but interesting. Greenville is a good base camp but the area is surrounded by camping opportunities including AMC's lodges, North Maine Woods, sporting camps, fine inns, first come first served shelters and campsites ...

If you do not mind going south of the border and like Boston city skyline views try Mt. Wachusett. Only summit I have been to where there is a gold fish pond ! From my experience most mountains with the attributes you describe are going to be crowded. Chocorua was very crowded when I was there 2 years ago. But for good reason, it is a great "little hill". For Vt, Mount Hunger is a great peak under 3800'. Also Mt Belvidere & Ethan Allen peak just south of Camel's Hump on the Long Trail. [preach]Be aware the Green Mountain Club closes high elevation trails from ~April 15 to Memorial day for mud season, see their web page for details. [/preach] Others covered NH & ME much better then I could. You did not ask about NY but the Tongue range at Lake George & Pharoah Mt wilderness would be among my favorite hikes given your criteria.

Last edited:
Wachusetts! A favorite partly because near where I grew up in eastern Mass. So where is the gold fish pond? I've hiked several times, don't recall seeing it.

Baldface sounds really nice. I never heard of it before. Don't even know where it is, gather it's near the NH/ME border, but is NOT the same as Baldpate. I've seen a few pics here and there on VFTT. Would appreciate a link to a nice trip report with pics. My AMC guide is half way around the world from my present location...

Here's some info on the Baldfaces:
https://www.summitpost.org/north-baldface-south-baldface/180510

There are additional peaks in Evans Notch, some with fine views from the summit, but the Baldfaces give you an extended above-treeline hike.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Cardigan yet. Fine little peak with options for an extended above-treeline hike north over Firescrew. If you like to scramble, Holt trail is among the steepest in NH, but short and fun (in good weather).
https://www.summitpost.org/mount-cardigan/151544

If you go to google maps and go into satellite view mode and zoom on on the summit area you can see the pond, the Mountain House trail goes around it on 2 sides. I was surprised to see gold fish there last summer. I have no clue what they do with the fish in the cold months. Fish them out & keep them in an aquarium until the following summer ? I thought gold fish were tropical and would die in frozen ponds, but there they were.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W...61c964b33b7fa0!8m2!3d42.4916067!4d-71.8797161

Edited to add the Baldfaces look terrific, on my bucket list, I have never hiked them after ~30 years in New England ...

Last edited:
You may like the mountains in my “backyard,” the Willoughby Lake region of Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom. Specifically Wheeler Mountain and Mount Pisgah.

TSunday River Whitecap in Grafton Notch via the maintainers path has 360 views and is not that hard if you use the unofficial maintainers route (its 18 miles round trip via Grafton Loop trail versus far shorter via the maintainer path.

It's only 11ish miles if you hit it via GLT from the south.