Burning Snow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
This warm stretch along with rain really started cutting down the snow depth. Still plenty left but bare patches are appearing.

Back to burning snow again. I expect a lot of snow bridges and streams will get blown out with Sunday/Monday forecast rain. Gray Knob still has 60" of snow. Its going to be awhile before the snow pack is gone.

I made the journey between Little Haystack and Liberty yesterday and while I had a track I was roughly following, I saw exactly 1 blaze. This is the AT and is heavily blazed. I could not tell you the actual snow depth but that one blaze was at ankle level, as were the blue blazes on the out-and-back to Flume. The AT corridor was anything but easy to follow.

The rills on Liberty Springs Trail were open, but the larger crossings were still solidly bridged.

Tim

Last edited:
I occasionally peruse the snow depths is https://trailsnh.com (although anything from NOAA is modeled).

AMC is saying 50" at Zealand and a whopping 100" at Carter Notch, more than Tuckerman's (86").

Tim, speaking of models, NOAA is indicating snow in the 50-75" range around Flume and Liberty, which sounds about right.

I also watch the E Branch river gage yearly for signs of the Big Melt, but all has been quiet (for now).

Hale Brook blazes were at waist level today, and some trees had the roots visible. Near the summit of Hale, there were some bare stretches, and about 20 or 30 feet of thin ice.

Tim

Well the streams are definitely responding. I have a low spot in my front yard that normally drains even in heavy rain. The ground is still frozen below so now its "lake" of saturated snow and water and water is running across my elevated driveway. Depending on the outdoor temp my "lake" may be around a few weeks. My house is just under mile from the Moose River. I can hear it roaring so that usually means spring thaw has begun.

The Peabody gauge is rising but my guess is that the snowpack is still pretty solid at higher elevation, in the past when that lets loose the Peabody will really crank up along with the Wild river . Temps are supposed to drop tonight so that might slow things down a bit.