Not Your Typical Hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must have missed it too. I hadn’t heard of this Bales story. Thanks for posting it..

As an occasional browser of this forum, I do not read every thread start to finish, I hope people are not discouraged from posting something because it might have been discussed previously at some point in time. If its redundant so be it, I will skip it. My 2 cents.

Grey J, I had not seen this article before, thank for posting the link. I started it last night will finish it this weekend.

It was a fascinating read and worth reposting for those who missed it.

Hi Tom,

I think the OP primarily posted about the article in the Caledonian Record about a story that's different than the Kate Matrosova story. The article is also written by Ty Gagne, and that's what the OP was referring to when adding the info about Kate.

So you are correct that the event/story/book about Kate Matrosova has been discussed, but it doesn't appear that Ty's article printed in the Caledonian Record has been discussed previously here.

Hi Tom,

I think the OP primarily posted about the article in the Caledonian Record about a story that's different than the Kate Matrosova story. The article is also written by Ty Gagne, and that's what the OP was referring to when adding the info about Kate.

So you are correct that the event/story/book about Kate Matrosova has been discussed, but it doesn't appear that Ty's article printed in the Caledonian Record has been discussed previously here.

Ah, good. I was wondering why VFTT's search function didn't return any useful results.

On the plus side, searching for "Bale" inexplicably turned up a surprisingly enjoyable old thread about "snot rockets".

PS Many details of the story reminded me of an outdoor encounter I once had with someone similarly motivated. (Mine was only slightly hypothermic, but drunk enough to have limited mobility.) I never got a name or tried to follow up, but I'm encouraged to think the long-term prospects are good.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the feedback. To clarify for Tom R, I am aware that Kate Matrosova and Ty Gagne's book about her were discussed in detail and at length on VFTT. I'm sure I probably chimed in. However, I had not previously heard about or seen a discussion here about this inspiring rescue of a man intending suicide. The story I have linked was also written by Mr. Gagne and I thought people would remember him from the Matrosova book, which was so well done. Thank you Expat for the summation. No harm done. I am not easily offended.

I had meant to ask if people here know Pam Bales or know if she ever posts on VFTT. I fear that we have not done justice to her heroic effort on that hike. She has my utmost respect and admiration.