VT Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike P.

Reaction score
When a USFS road is not maintained in winter in VT, does that mean it is gated? Looking at going to Mt. Wilson and Roosevelt by going up the Clark Brook Trail from USFS Rd. 55. If I am reading my LT Guide correctly, there are gated roads off of it however, the road is just unplowed.

Is there still snow on the roads?

Is there a timetable yet for when they will be closing Camel's Hump and the above treeline areas?

It's hard to believe that it has been almost 13 years that I've last hiked in VT other than a 2015 Ascutney trip. (maybe not that hard to believe based on my dumb questions.)

Its been 10 plus years since I regularly hiked in mostly the Northeast part of the state but the FS typically gates FS roads until they dry out. The far bigger issue is the state and towns do not gate many of the roads that access those gates and it quite easy to get buried up to your axles as many VT dirt roads were not designed or built for mud season. The percentage of unpaved side roads off of state highways in VT especially in rural areas is quite high. If there are any dairy operations nearby, the tankers need to visit every farm on close to a daily basis and those tractor trailer trucks can really mess up a dirt road during spring thaw. The farmers will tow them down the road if they have to and what is left after they have done so will eat a typical AWD car. Even if you make it in to a trailhead in the AM after a cold night, you may not be able to make it out later in the day when it warms up. Realistically June 1st is good time to start planning trips in VT as by that time the frost is out of the ground and things have dried out.

Thanks,

Looks like another day hiking in NH then driving to VT to pick up my daughter. Something close to the border like The Cube of Smarts maybe.....

When a USFS road is not maintained in winter in VT, does that mean it is gated? Looking at going to Mt. Wilson and Roosevelt by going up the Clark Brook Trail from USFS Rd. 55. If I am reading my LT Guide correctly, there are gated roads off of it however, the road is just unplowed.

Is there still snow on the roads?

Is there a timetable yet for when they will be closing Camel's Hump and the above treeline areas?

It's hard to believe that it has been almost 13 years that I've last hiked in VT other than a 2015 Ascutney trip. (maybe not that hard to believe based on my dumb questions.)

Vermont is hit-and-miss with the gates. Many roads that are also snowmobile trails are not gated, but then I think sometimes at the end of snowmobile season they close the gates until Memorial Day to preserve the roads and let them dry out.
Other forest roads are never gated at all, just unplowed.

I would based on my climbing around Vermont lately that there is not snow on the roads below around 2200', but I can't say for certain whether the Clark Brook trail road has a gate or not. You could call the store in Granville and ask the clerk who might be able to tell you if it's gated.

So....

Monday's weather was ugly in NH and I was sore and cut up from post holing through rotten snow, with and without my MSR;s on to look forward to a rainy hike.

I did go to White River JCT and take early morning pics of the White River carrying a large amount of wood and debris with high water. The White River flooded low areas near it in Eastern VT. Upon clearing the divide, the Winooski was similar, flooding low areas in Waterbury and North Williston. The Lamoille had some flooding also. It snowed last night at Smuggler's Resort and early today.

After eight miles that include plenty of rotten snow on Sunday, the next trip is likely in Southern New England.