Town of Keene Press Release about the Garden

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCD

Reaction score
I have not yet seen this posted on VFTT. I volunteered to help make sure that this information is widely disseminated. (If a lot of people show up this summer and find this out by surprise, that will increase the potential for problems.)

Thank you.

Press Release:

The Garden Parking Lot in Keene Valley will be Closed for Summer 2019

The Garden Parking Lot at the Garden Trailhead – one of the main access points to the eastern High Peak Wilderness – will be closed to public motor vehicles during the spring and summer of 2019 due to the replacement of the Johns Brook Bridge. Construction of the replacement bridge, located in Keene Valley, Essex County, will begin as soon as weather and road conditions allow and is expected to last through the summer. No vehicles or pedestrians will be able to pass the bridge once construction is started through completion of the project.

Hikers and backpackers may gain access to the Garden Trailhead by parking at Marcy Field Parking Lot and using the Town of Keene Shuttle. The bus will transport hikers between the parking lot and the trail head. This will be the only means for accessing the Garden Trailhead during the closure period.

The Town of Keene plans to operate the Shuttle from 7 am to 7 pm seven days a week. The cost will be $10 round-trip per person ($13 Canadian). However, due to the current lack of bus drivers this schedule may be reduced. Please check the town website for up-to-date shuttle schedules.

The Town is working closely with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and the Adirondack Mountain Club to help inform hikers and provide them with information about the closure, the shuttle, and alternative hikes in the area.

The Town recognizes that this is a major disruption during the nicest hiking weather, but the bridge replacement is a critical public safety issue. The current bridge is in such poor shape that plow trucks, fire trucks, and ambulances cannot use it.

Please respect the closure, no parking signs, and private property. Don’t park or walk on private property to gain access. There will be posted No Parking areas along Adirondack St., Market St., and Johns Brook Rd. Illegally parked cars will be towed.

The Town of Keene appreciates the public’s patience and understanding in this matter. Please see our website for shuttle information and other hikes in the Keene area.

https://www.townofkeeneny.com/2019-garden-shuttle-information

So no pedestrians would seem to indicate that you can't be dropped off by a friend either?

Was looking at dropping four off there to get to Porter and Cascade and then the rest of the group going up Cascade the typical way and all descending to Marcy Field. That hikes allows the fit scouts who need a 10 mile hike an option while their less fit parents and friends ascend the easier typical trip. Looks like I'll need to post a question on other options.

Town of Keene reports that no pedestrians will be allowed to walk up to the Garden. The road is closed entirely except for residents and workers and the shuttle bus. (https://www.townofkeeneny.com/2019-garden-hiker-shuttle-information)

Porter trail from the Garden is closed as well, due to issues with a landowner. Attempts are being made to reroute, but it was closed in March when I was hiking to Big Slide and I haven't heard anything to change that subsequently. Here's a news story from the fall of 2018: http://www.adirondackdailyenterpris...andowner-closes-little-porter-mountain-trail/