Quick TR for Southern High Points

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Florida - Britton Hill, - Drive 'up', (loop trails in the woods), easy to find, lots of signs, limited views of vultures and cows, HP register

Alabama - Cheaha - Drive up, (small fee), Stone Tower can be climbed for great views, no register found

Mississippi - Woodall - Drive up dirt road to summit, no views near by, HP register

Louisiana - Driskill - .75 mile hike each way on dirt roads or trails, well marked, limited views 100 yards from summit, HP register

Arkansas - Magazine - .5 mile hike each way on easy trail - no views, viewing area near by just off road, excellent views, huge prominence, HP register

Missouri - Taum Sauk - .25 mile hike each way on paved trail - no views, viewing area near by just off road, Fire Tower near by, no register found

Cheaha Mt. in Alabama. The stone tower was a CCC project. I had a photo of underwhelming Woodall, (806 feet)but I can't locate it. It's more of a hill than a mountain. Just a turnaround at a cell tower.
You left out Brasstown Bald in Georgia, 4784 feet.

Cheaha Mt.jpg 89 Brasstown Bald summit.jpg

maybe someone can explain why my vertical pix go horizontal when I post them???

How many Garden Spiders did you encounter on Britton Hill? Those things were ginormous scary monsters..

Last edited:
Grey J, I posted what we visited this past week, sort of a quick 'conditions on the ground' summary.

HockeyPuck, I guess we missed that part of the fun.

Laurie was constantly on the lookout for snakes, but we did not see any living ones. The most common roadkills down there are Armadillos, and Possums. It was cool to see the most common scavenger change from Black Vulture to Turkey Vulture as we drove North.

Quite the productive trip! I looked at a topo and see what you mean about "up" and Florida. Seems like if you dumped a bag of loam they'd have to move the highpoint. ;-)