Current snow conditions? - Algonquin Tr./ Black Mountain (Sandwich Range)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srhigham

Reaction score
Has any one been to the Algonquin Tr./ Black Mountain (Sandwich Range) area lately? Whats the current snow depth/ melting ?

If I had to guess, I'd say there's probably some significant snow in the woods, but more importantly, are you aware that the trailhead is inaccessible right now due to Sandwich Notch Road being closed for winter?

Where is the western gate on this road? There is a house about 600 feet west of the trailhead so I wonder if the road is open to that point.

The house is called the Moses Hall House named after the last resident of Sandwich Notch and who the Hall Ponds are named after.

Moses%20Hall-M.jpg

My Caltopo files show an off-trail excursion I did on 4-23-2017 up to Campton Range. The gate was open and I parked at turnout that leads to Atwood Pond. I walked up the road to Atwood Pond where I encountered a dude in jeep who was driving through. His jeep was fairly well equipped for bad road conditions. I ascended Campton Range from Atwood Pond and didn't encounter snow until I got to upper portion of the ridge where spruce dominates and snow hangs around longer and wished I had my snow shoes. Snow hanging around longer in spruce forest is bound to be magnified by huge snow pack from last winter. One can do a nice loop by whacking up Black Mountain from Atwood Pond and returning via Algonquin Trail. Steve Smith has fairly recent report of loop like this in his blog. Woods along this route are mostly pretty nice. Depends which Black Mountain you're interested in. One can go all way to upper Black and descend by Black Mountain Trail to Black Mountain Pond and return by abandoned roads back to Algonquin TH or bushwhack up to Durgin Tavern cellar hole and save 1/2 mile.

No I haven't been up there yet. I'm certain that there is no snow there because mountainwandering says that the nearby Mt. Dickey is snow-free; but I don't want to waster a trip if the road is gated.