Thread: Current snow conditions? - Algonquin Tr./ Black Mountain (Sandwich Range)

Current snow conditions? - Algonquin Tr./ Black Mountain (Sandwich Range)

Has any one been to the Algonquin Tr./ Black Mountain (Sandwich Range) area lately? Whats the current snow depth/ melting ?
    Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

If I had to guess, I'd say there's probably some significant snow in the woods, but more importantly, are you aware that the trailhead is inaccessible right now due to Sandwich Notch Road being closed for winter?
    Proprietor, NH 52 With A View Facebook group
    Author, New Hampshire's 52 With A View - A Hiker's Guide
    Author, AMC Southern NH Trail Guide, 5th Edition - Coming in 2020!

Where is the western gate on this road? There is a house about 600 feet west of the trailhead so I wonder if the road is open to that point.
    Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by srhigham View Post
    Where is the western gate on this road? There is a house about 600 feet west of the trailhead so I wonder if the road is open to that point.
    The road isn't maintained shortly after the main group of houses, maybe a mile or so from RT49. Not sure if anyone lives at the house, but it's an in holding in the forest. Mailbox says 'US MALE', which always makes me chuckle. If the road is accessible right now I imagine it's in very bad shape, because it's almost always in bad shape.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Waltham, MA Jazzbo & Marty meet Bigfoot on Kennebago Divide
    The house is called the Moses Hall House named after the last resident of Sandwich Notch and who the Hall Ponds are named after.

My Caltopo files show an off-trail excursion I did on 4-23-2017 up to Campton Range. The gate was open and I parked at turnout that leads to Atwood Pond. I walked up the road to Atwood Pond where I encountered a dude in jeep who was driving through. His jeep was fairly well equipped for bad road conditions. I ascended Campton Range from Atwood Pond and didn't encounter snow until I got to upper portion of the ridge where spruce dominates and snow hangs around longer and wished I had my snow shoes. Snow hanging around longer in spruce forest is bound to be magnified by huge snow pack from last winter. One can do a nice loop by whacking up Black Mountain from Atwood Pond and returning via Algonquin Trail. Steve Smith has fairly recent report of loop like this in his blog. Woods along this route are mostly pretty nice. Depends which Black Mountain you're interested in. One can go all way to upper Black and descend by Black Mountain Trail to Black Mountain Pond and return by abandoned roads back to Algonquin TH or bushwhack up to Durgin Tavern cellar hole and save 1/2 mile.
    On #67 of NE67
    On #99 of NEHH
    On #45 of WNH48

"Commuter—one who spends his life
    In riding to and from his wife;
    A man who shaves and takes a train,
    And then rides back to shave again." EB White (1899-1986)

srhigham - I'm curious if you made it out this way.

No I haven't been up there yet. I'm certain that there is no snow there because mountainwandering says that the nearby Mt. Dickey is snow-free; but I don't want to waster a trip if the road is gated.
    Steve H.
    NH4000 1976-1984
    NE4000 1984-1991

Quote Originally Posted by srhigham View Post
    No I haven't been up there yet. I'm certain that there is no snow there because mountainwandering says that the nearby Mt. Dickey is snow-free; but I don't want to waster a trip if the road is gated.
    I don't know if they physically gate the road. If you have a high-clearance vehicle you might be fine road-wise. That said, there could be fallen trees or other debris that causes issues.

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    I don't know if they physically gate the road.
    They usually have a pair of jersey barriers in place blocking entry when closed.

Quote Originally Posted by TDawg View Post
    They usually have a pair of jersey barriers in place blocking entry when closed.
    That seems like a good idea to me given the likelihood of some people damaging roads by driving them in mud season. I've only seen the snowbank on the eastern end (on my way to Mead Base), so there easily could have been jersey barriers under the pile.