AMC granted new "Pooper Chopper" Heli Site

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The AMC should be in a mode of decreasing their carbon footprint rather than perpetually increasing it. Which is a mantra they preach but do not practice. Let's not forget that their has been more than one instance of spillage.[/QUOTE]

Being cognizant that I am writing to a man (or woman) with a fake photo and a fake name, I will still engage this endlessly-cranky individual in a serious manner. The AMC is most certainly not "perpetually increasing" their carbon footprint.

https://www.outdoors.org/lodging-camping/green-promise

The page is short enough that I will just click-and-drag:

# # #

AMC’s Green promise
Our Commitment

The AMC has a long-standing commitment to using its huts, lodges and sporting camps as models for sustainable operations and environmental stewardship. These policies are designed to both reduce our environmental impact and provide an opportunity for guests to learn how to practice conservation at home. In some cases we are upgrading our destinations to make them more energy-efficient. In the case of the Highland Center, we built a lodge and education center from the ground up to utilize the latest in green design and technology.

All New Hampshire huts and lodges have been awarded “Environmental Champion” status by the New Hampshire Lodging and Restaurant Association’s Sustainable Lodging and Restaurant Program.

AMC is committed to continuing to find new ways to reduce energy use, with a goal of reducing its total carbon footprint by 80% by 2050.
Energy Efficiency

LED or CF lighting (all locations)

Double to triple glazed windows (all locations)

Highly insulated building shell (HiC, GC)*

Recycled building materials (HiC)*

Alternative energy sources

Ultra-low emission biomass heating and hot water using locally harvested wood (HiC, GC)*

o Solar water preheat (4 huts, JDL, Cardigan)

Solar power generation (all huts, GC, LL, Cardigan)

Wind power generation (5 huts)

Small-scale hydropower (Zealand Falls Hut)

* The Highland Center and the lodge building at Gorman Chairback were built as green buildings from the ground up. Gorman Chairback uses a LEED-registered design. AMC has retrofitted older facilities to improve energy efficiency.

Transportation

AMC operates hiker shuttle between Lincoln, Gorham, HiC, JDL, major trailheads)

EV charging stations (HiC, JDL)

Chapter activity registration system includes carpooling features

Waste Reduction / Water

Recycling (all locations)

“No napkin” policy (all huts)

Bulk liquid soap and shampoo in bathrooms (all frontcountry lodges, GC, LL)

Biodegradable cleaning products (all locations)

Majority of driveways/walkways are unpaved to reduce runoff

Food composting (HiC, JDL, Cardigan, all huts)

Composting toilets (Clivus Multrum) or waterless system (all huts, GC, LL, Highland Center staff space, Highland Center Thayer Hall public restrooms; Crawford Depot Macomber Family Information Center public restrooms; JDL public restrooms)

Local Sourcing

Local food purchases (AMC huts use ingredients from local providers, including King Arthur Flour [VT], Sawyer’s Maple Farm [ME], Cabot Creamery [VT], Native Maine Produce [ME], New Hampshire Coffee Roasting [NH], Grandy Oats [ME], Stonyfield Farms [NH], Wyman’s of Maine [ME])

On-site vegetable gardens (GC, LL)

Locally manufactured furniture (HiC, Cardigan, GC)

Minimizing Backcountry Impact

Along with the energy conservation and waste reduction strategies noted above, we manage trails to our huts to minimize erosion and help protect vegetation. We monitor air quality at the summit and base of Mt. Washington, and have worked to protect and restore rare alpine flowers, including a successful restoration effort for the Robbins cinquefoil, resulting in its removal from the federal Endangered Species list.
Recognition

TripAdvisor Green Leader, Gold Level (HiC, JDL)

Maine Environmental Leader Award (LL)

New Hampshire Sustainable Lodging and Restaurant Program Environmental Champion Certification

(All eight huts, HiC, JDL, Cardigan)

Whoops.. something went wrong there. Moderators please delete my last post as I cannot do so. Must have something to do with my endless crankiness.:rolleyes::D B the Hiker needs to edit his post also so he is properly quoting this fake person with the fake name. LOL.

Last edited:
Hey Skiguy, are you really that well-known curmudgeon..... BILL AUGHTON???!!!
OMG.
cb

Mod Hat on
This is a reminder to keep things civil. No one is required to use their actual names or provide personal information on this site, and we expect all users of the site to respect that decision. If you have a problem with it, contact the moderators.

Also, a reminder to avoid copying large portions of material from other websites. Just a short representative sample with a link will suffice in most cases, and that's what we recommend in the VFTT Terms of Service.

Mod Hat off