Snowshoe Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinnieG

Reaction score
I am headed to the daks in a couple weeks this will be my first time over there. should I pack the northetnlites? At what point is the snowshoe requirement lifted? Do they go by date or depth at 4000 feet?

A couple of weeks, hard to say. But I would still bring them. They go by depth. You almost certainly will not get a ticket this time of year, but you may be wallowing thru a lot of soft snow in places.

If you go to the LOJ, you can ask for the conditions before you start your hike.

I am headed to the daks in a couple weeks this will be my first time over there. should I pack the northetnlites? At what point is the snowshoe requirement lifted? Do they go by date or depth at 4000 feet?

I am a fan of Northern Lites for off trail backpacking in gentle terrain, they are the lightest, but experience on ADK trails was disappointing. You need more traction, and rocks beat up the NLs. Suggest EVOs. Folks at the LOJ are helpful.
Walt