Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Agnes / Ultralight Tent "Waterproofness"

Quote Originally Posted by TEO View Post
    Speaking of PU degradation, having had a second tent degrade—an REI Arete 2—despite storing my tents in a cool, dry place, and limiting UV exposure, I now store my tents loosely stuffed in breathable cotton sacks. Supposedly the PU layer off-gasses, and storing tents in the tight confines and limited breathability of the stuff sacks they come with prevents the PU coatings from off-gassing properly, which then leads to the degradation (tackiness and eventual flaking-off of the layer).
    Good info. Thanks.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

I've had a Copper Spur UL3 for almost 2 years now, used it in heavy rains in Oregon, New Mexico, Catskills, Moose Brook in Gorham. No leaking problems.

Tore the fly in New Mexico and Big Agnes repaired it for free in two weeks so I could use it on a trip to Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Good to know. I'm pretty sure I am going to go with the Copper Spur HV UL1. Just waiting to see what kind of promos and coupons get rolled out for Memorial Day sales before pulling the trigger.
    Rei is offering $100 off the Fly Creek right now. I had similar concerns as you but pulled the trigger anyway. Figured if Fx calls for heavy rains then I just use my old mountaineering tent. Or just stay in a hotel. Because I’m getting too old for sleeping in torrential downpours

Quote Originally Posted by thebigmo13 View Post
    Rei is offering $100 off the Fly Creek right now. I had similar concerns as you but pulled the trigger anyway. Figured if Fx calls for heavy rains then I just use my old mountaineering tent. Or just stay in a hotel. Because I’m getting too old for sleeping in torrential downpours
    Yah I saw that too. I actually went with a Marmot UL 2 person model. It was only 7 ounces heavier than the comparable Big Agnes Copper Creek but it has a heavier denier floor, better waterproof rating (I think 2000mm versus 1200mm) and I prefer the pole design over Big Agnes. Despite everyone's positive comments on the waterproofing I just can't get past the volume of comments on leaking on various retailer websites. I own 2 other Marmot tents and have been very happy with their design and performance so in the end I stuck with what I know. And it was about $150 less too so the 7 ounces weight penalty seems worth it for the other factors.

For what it's worth too, looks like Backcountry has 25% off many brands and models of tents so if anyone else out there is looking for a new one the sales on many websites look pretty good this week.

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    better waterproof rating (I think 2000mm versus 1200mm)
    From what I have read about raingear, the truly waterproof gear has a rating of 10000mm (IIRC).

However, it is possible that raingear needs a higher rating than tents--for instance, water compressed under a pack strap could be at a pretty high pressure.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul View Post
    From what I have read about raingear, the truly waterproof gear has a rating of 10000mm (IIRC).

However, it is possible that raingear needs a higher rating than tents--for instance, water compressed under a pack strap could be at a pretty high pressure.

Doug
    Most tents I have looked at were 1200mm to 1500m, with some at 1800mm and 2000mm and few around 3000mm. Sure it isn't waterproof but it is more waterproof.