Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Black Fly Season

Swarming and definitely hungry at Indian Brook in Essex VT yesterday. (550' elevation +/-).
    NH 31/48 ADK 26/46 NE 65/115

I rode through Hazens Notch (VT Route 58) last Sunday and had to stop afterwards to take the helmet off and evacuate the black flies.

They were brutal on Vanderwhacker on 6/1. Only time I've seen them worse has been during Memorial Day weekend 25 years ago on Prospect.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    They were moderate on the Boulder Loop yesterday. Tons of mosquitoes out though. Bug spray and head net both got use.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

We got nailed moderate Wild River trail of course.

Up here in the Longfellow mountain range of Maine we are almost exactly a month behind last Spring weatherwise. I gauge this by the blooming blossoms of my big old pioneer apple tree. Last year it was in full blossom on May 1st, this year On May 30th. I guess that the old Father's day vanishing of the Buffalo Flies will also be delayed this year by possibly a month. Except on the summits of course where they tend to remain almost throughout the summer. I sincerely hope not.

The black flies (which are normally not a major issue at my house in Gorham) have faded away but the mosquitoes have come back with a vengeance especially in the later afternoon/evening. Not sure how it is in the woods but looks like the black flies may be sticking with the gone by Fathers Day tradition.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The black flies (which are normally not a major issue at my house in Gorham) have faded away but the mosquitoes have come back with a vengeance especially in the later afternoon/evening. Not sure how it is in the woods but looks like the black flies may be sticking with the gone by Fathers Day tradition.
    Nothing much to speak of up Red Rock way this weekend in terms of black flies.

Last weekend in Maine I didn't see any black flies in campground or on the trail (although it was breezy in upper elevations hiking). Mostly mosquitoes. They were a factor but no where near as bad as other years. I'm not complaining....
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

The Black flies got eaten by the mosquitos whom have now moved on to their next victim. https://media1.tenor.co/images/918af...GnIX4vm-MQQ7U4
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Black flies and mosquitoes June 8 on the north side of Smarts Mt. I wore a headnet some of the time. They were unbearable at the summit.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by JToll View Post
    Black flies and mosquitoes June 8 on the north side of Smarts Mt. I wore a headnet some of the time. They were unbearable at the summit.
    They were moderate on Hedgehog Saturday, with the skeeters being pretty bad down low. Used the bug net a few times.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Black flies were out in force on the Nancy Pond Trail on 6/15-16 all the way to Mt Nancy summit. Headnet needed when not hiking. Mosquitoes were also out in force but nothing like th flies.

They went to bed when we did thankfully. I sleep under a tarp and didn't bother to sleep with a headnet. A mosquito woke me at 6:30 but was otherwise unmolested during the night. The black flies were also out in force again by time we broke camp.

Speaking of blood suckers, the leeches in Norcross are massive. I've caught Brookies that were smaller
    - Dave (a.k.a. pinnah)

" Power corrupts. Absolute power is kind of neat." - John Lehman, US Secretary of the Navy 1981-1987

Quote Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
    Speaking of blood suckers, the leeches in Norcross are massive. I've caught Brookies that were smaller
    Did you use them as bait to catch some leeches?

Hedgehog Sunday was definitely mostly mosquitos although some black flies. They were thirsty, too; I've got some nasty welts.

Quote Originally Posted by dave.m View Post
    Black flies were out in force on the Nancy Pond Trail on 6/15-16 all the way to Mt Nancy summit. Headnet needed when not hiking. Mosquitoes were also out in force but nothing like th flies.

They went to bed when we did thankfully. I sleep under a tarp and didn't bother to sleep with a headnet. A mosquito woke me at 6:30 but was otherwise unmolested during the night. The black flies were also out in force again by time we broke camp.

I did Nancy Pond Trail to Carrigain Notch as an overnight that weekend. I didn't think the black flies or mosquitoes were bad at all. Wore shorts and t-shirt all day SAT and didn't put any repellent on until I reached Norcross Pond. Mosquitoes SUN morning were pretty stout though on Signal Ridge Trail. Were you one of the 4 guys fishing at the rock dam on Norcross SAT afternoon?
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46