2019 Black Fly Season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The black flies (which are normally not a major issue at my house in Gorham) have faded away but the mosquitoes have come back with a vengeance especially in the later afternoon/evening. Not sure how it is in the woods but looks like the black flies may be sticking with the gone by Fathers Day tradition.

Nothing much to speak of up Red Rock way this weekend in terms of black flies.

Last weekend in Maine I didn't see any black flies in campground or on the trail (although it was breezy in upper elevations hiking). Mostly mosquitoes. They were a factor but no where near as bad as other years. I'm not complaining....

Black flies were out in force on the Nancy Pond Trail on 6/15-16 all the way to Mt Nancy summit. Headnet needed when not hiking. Mosquitoes were also out in force but nothing like th flies.

They went to bed when we did thankfully. I sleep under a tarp and didn't bother to sleep with a headnet. A mosquito woke me at 6:30 but was otherwise unmolested during the night. The black flies were also out in force again by time we broke camp.

Speaking of blood suckers, the leeches in Norcross are massive. I've caught Brookies that were smaller

Speaking of blood suckers, the leeches in Norcross are massive. I've caught Brookies that were smaller

Did you use them as bait to catch some leeches?

Hedgehog Sunday was definitely mostly mosquitos although some black flies. They were thirsty, too; I've got some nasty welts.

Black flies were out in force on the Nancy Pond Trail on 6/15-16 all the way to Mt Nancy summit. Headnet needed when not hiking. Mosquitoes were also out in force but nothing like th flies.

They went to bed when we did thankfully. I sleep under a tarp and didn't bother to sleep with a headnet. A mosquito woke me at 6:30 but was otherwise unmolested during the night. The black flies were also out in force again by time we broke camp.

I did Nancy Pond Trail to Carrigain Notch as an overnight that weekend. I didn't think the black flies or mosquitoes were bad at all. Wore shorts and t-shirt all day SAT and didn't put any repellent on until I reached Norcross Pond. Mosquitoes SUN morning were pretty stout though on Signal Ridge Trail. Were you one of the 4 guys fishing at the rock dam on Norcross SAT afternoon?

I did Nancy Pond Trail to Carrigain Notch as an overnight that weekend. I didn't think the black flies or mosquitoes were bad at all. Wore shorts and t-shirt all day SAT and didn't put any repellent on until I reached Norcross Pond. Mosquitoes SUN morning were pretty stout though on Signal Ridge Trail. Were you one of the 4 guys fishing at the rock dam on Norcross SAT afternoon?

IMO this is an excellent example of how the bugs can be so weather dependent. Saturday was a nice warm and breezy day which makes a big difference in the presence of bugs compared to Sunday which was much more still and humid. Geography seems to play a huge part also. Higher elevation and breezy sure beats low down, boggy and grassy.

Yesterday, 6/17 mosquitoes were bad on Dry River Trail but black flies were bad on Dry River Cutoff and Mt Clinton Trail. I used a headset.

I'm very spoiled right now. We are on vacation in the Black Hills of South Dakota. It's heaven on earth for climbing and hiking. And they have no bug season. None. I saw no bugs today. My host has lived here 15 years, and he said in 15 years he has swatted 4 mosquitoes.

Why do we live in the Northeast?

I'm very spoiled right now. We are on vacation in the Black Hills of South Dakota. It's heaven on earth for climbing and hiking. And they have no bug season. None. I saw no bugs today. My host has lived here 15 years, and he said in 15 years he has swatted 4 mosquitoes.

Why do we live in the Northeast?

I'd love to get some trail recommendations for that area for hiking (I'm not a climber). I had randomly come across that earlier in the year researching alternative hiking trips to off the beaten path areas and 7,000 footers and thought it looked pretty cool. Hopefully you'll have a trip report with some photos on here at some point.

Yes! I was the guy taking off the knee brace next to the ancient Kelty frame pack (which is the most comfortable pack I've ever carried). Only, we weren't fishing. Just hanging out. I remember a hiker (you, probably) who headed down into the Pemi. How about that?

I suspect you were moving faster than we were (on account of me, mostly) and that explains why you didn't notice the bugs as much. Also, one of my buddies is birder and he often stopped to listen for birds. I should have noted that we first started noticing the bugs when we stopped for lunch #1 at the base of the cascades and as normal, the black flies were worse closer to the water. Had you stopped by the Pond, I suspect you, like us, would have noticed the black flies. We were swarmed but it was manageable with head nets. Same thing climbing Nancy. Things were fine if we were moving. But we got swarmed when we stopped.

Yes! I was the guy taking off the knee brace next to the ancient Kelty frame pack (which is the most comfortable pack I've ever carried). Only, we weren't fishing. Just hanging out. I remember a hiker (you, probably) who headed down into the Pemi. How about that?

I suspect you were moving faster than we were (on account of me, mostly) and that explains why you didn't notice the bugs as much. Also, one of my buddies is birder and he often stopped to listen for birds. I should have noted that we first started noticing the bugs when we stopped for lunch #1 at the base of the cascades and as normal, the black flies were worse closer to the water. Had you stopped by the Pond, I suspect you, like us, would have noticed the black flies. We were swarmed but it was manageable with head nets. Same thing climbing Nancy. Things were fine if we were moving. But we got swarmed when we stopped.

I remember that. I definitely noticed the black flies on the "dam" of the pond but they weren't bothering me too much. I had applied a few spritzes of Benz100 on the other side of lake when I stopped to take some pictures. I only lingered for a few minutes though at either end of pond to catch the views and a snack. If I had realized how easy the descent is from the pond down to the valley floor I probably would have hung out longer. That is a curiously level and comfortable stretch of trail for NH. Really enjoyed the whole area even with the bugs. :)

If I had realized how easy the descent is from the pond down to the valley floor I probably would have hung out longer. That is a curiously level and comfortable stretch of trail for NH. Really enjoyed the whole area even with the bugs. :)

shhhhhhhhh

Yeah, the stretch is quite nice for backpacking, having done it the reverse (up from Stillwater) at night in later fall, I was pleasantly surprised how gentle it was given I was battling some mega-chaffage. The crossings were fairly simple, but could be hard at high-water I imagine. Glad you got to enjoy it. I suspect that most people will never venture that far into the Valley, so I think the 'secret' is safe. :)

Yes I think I've been in there 4 or 5 times now, this being my first overnight and the first time on an epic 29 mile day hike loop starting at Signal Ridge parking area. It definitely has a nice, remote feel to it and as much as I love summit views and above treeline cruising trips through areas like this can be very enjoyable. And with such long approaches and no 4k's I doubt it will get much more popular unless someone comes up with a deep mud, blowdown stepover list. :p

Haha - sounds like you visited the Shoal Pond trail!

Yes I have. The lower sections near Stillwater Junction are pretty boring and irritating, similar to Dry River Trail in the middle sections after the camp sites near Isolation Jct. The upper sections through the bogs and actual Shoal Pond are pretty awesome though. Now I usually come in there from North from either Zealand or Ethan Pond. Southern sections of Thoreau Falls Trail kinda suck too. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

Yes I have. The lower sections near Stillwater Junction are pretty boring and irritating, similar to Dry River Trail in the middle sections after the camp sites near Isolation Jct. The upper sections through the bogs and actual Shoal Pond are pretty awesome though. Now I usually come in there from North from either Zealand or Ethan Pond. Southern sections of Thoreau Falls Trail kinda suck too. Gotta take the good with the bad I guess.

I actually love that section by Stillwater through the dense growth right after the crossing. The waterslides at the top of that straightaway are pretty neat too.

I actually love that section by Stillwater through the dense growth right after the crossing. The waterslides at the top of that straightaway are pretty neat too.

Yes that huge circular pool area is cool and the river crossings. I just remember a long, virtually straight section of trail in open woods that was just mud and one step over after another for what seemed like forever. Maybe I caught it at a bad time of year. I like those "pine tunnels" too at the end of Nancy Pond Trail, Wilderness Trail and Carrigain Notch Trail near Stillwater. Weird oddity of sorts in otherwise open forest. The glympses out to Carrigain and the Bonds in the trees is neat too.