Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lost Hiker on Moosilaukee

Lost Hiker on Moosilaukee

The news had a report this AM. that a Dartmouth College student is lost on the mountain. Reported hiking with a group and didnt have adequate gear and turned around on Saturday. That is the last they saw of the hiker.

The weather is definitely taking a turn for the worst this afternoon into tomorrow.
    Last edited by peakbagger; 05-13-2019 at 04:25 AM.

Search and rescue is definitely getting a lot of work the past week or two. Incidents like this seem to be popping up every day. I was surprised that this kid was allowed to attempt to return on his own if it was a Dartmouth sponsored event. Aren't their trip leaders on those? Seems like a big mistake letting an unprepared hiker head back by himself. Hopefully it ends well but this one sounds ominous...
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

Real guides, at least the ones I know who are trained and licensed here in NY, are trained to never break up a group, especially to not let one person to leave on their own. The leader should have surveyed each trip member for gear and preparedness before setting out on the trek. No one goes who is not completely prepared. Start as a team, finish, or turn around as a team. I wouldn't be surprised if there were legal consequences.
    Last edited by Nessmuk; 05-13-2019 at 06:10 AM.
    "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

Great news. Hopefully DOC reviews their policies.

Reminds me somewhat of the lost hiker we encountered last year on Moosilaukee. I expect he would have become a lost hiker if we hadn't helped him out as he was clueless without a signal on his cellphone.

This is not the first incident of a College Outing Club screwing it up. Unfortunately there seems to be a lack of appropriate leadership training and vetting of qualified leaders in many of these programs. It seems like a no brainer to have at least sent someone with this individual back down. The DOC has been around for as long as anyone when it comes to Collegiate Outdoor Clubs. If this is the bar then Alumni take notice.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Meanwhile a few folks got stranded overnight in the Mt Isolation area and had to be rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Meanwhile a few folks got stranded overnight in the Mt Isolation area and had to be rescued.
    What is that now, like 5 incidents in the past two weeks? Good grief.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    What is that now, like 5 incidents in the past two weeks? Good grief.
    Here’s the newspaper article. https://www.unionleader.com/news/saf...3b6f2317e.html

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    I wish they'd also note that these two were in the wilderness, which means minimal trail markings most of the time.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Quote Originally Posted by TJsName View Post
    I wish they'd also note that these two were in the wilderness, which means minimal trail markings most of the time.
    What difference does that make? When you head out on a trek, you are responsible to know what you are getting yourself into, wilderness or not, snow conditions, navigation, terrain and elevation changes, water hazards, weather, trails or lack of, emergency procedures and exits, all of it. If you are part of an organized trip. the organizer and/or the trip leader is responsible for all of that and the complete safety and safe return of all trip members, It never hurts for individual trip members to know their own limitations and safe procedures and required gear for the location as well.
    Last edited by Nessmuk; 05-13-2019 at 04:43 PM.
    "She's all my fancy painted her, she's lovely, she is light. She waltzes on the waves by day and rests with me at night." - Nessmuk, Forest and Stream, July 21, 1880 [of the Wood Drake Canoe built for him by Rushton]

In 25 years of being on SAR teams, half of them as a crew boss, I never recall being called on an extended SAR incident in which more than a single subject was involved. DEC rangers sometimes are called out for wilderness confused groups involving more than one person (always quickly resolved), but the large scale "campaign" type incidents that call out trained volunteers have always been for just a single solo person. I believe there is a lesson to be had in that fact.