Snow Conditions in the woods from a "pro"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
There is early season AT thruhiker that has met his match on the stretch of the AT between Kinsman Notch and Kinsman (near Mt Wolf). This is his second thruhike and his current daily mileage is impressive. It seems to be at least a partially car supported hike but haven't looked into the details.

He tried the same stretch the day before and had to turn around. Check out the first few minutes of yesterdays video and its surprising early conclusion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UztyYF55y7o

His plans for today is the Franconia Ridge, I expect he will be in better shape but expect the stretch from the low spot between Lafayette and Garfield to South Twin he will be going over in a day or two is going to be a gnarly one.

Given its Victoria day this weekend and Memorial Day the next I expect more than few folks are in for a big surprise with their hiking plans. The spring skiers on the other hand will love it.

There is early season AT thruhiker that has met his match on the stretch of the AT between Kinsman Notch and Kinsman (near Mt Wolf). This is his second thruhike and his current daily mileage is impressive. It seems to be at least a partially car supported hike but haven't looked into the details.

He tried the same stretch the day before and had to turn around. Check out the first few minutes of yesterdays video and its surprising early conclusion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UztyYF55y7o

His plans for today is the Franconia Ridge, I expect he will be in better shape but expect the stretch from the low spot between Lafayette and Garfield to South Twin he will be going over in a day or two is going to be a gnarly one.

Given its Victoria day this weekend and Memorial Day the next I expect more than few folks are in for a big surprise with their hiking plans. The spring skiers on the other hand will love it.

I estimate that 3500 kittens will perish on Memorial Day weekend. I'm being conservative.

I saw his video and I'm not sure they should have turned around on the first day. If they had the food in the backpack and they have the time to hike then instead of one day it could take two days. ... or three if You have enough food.

I think if it was just T-Rex then he would just keep going....

I just saw the last video. Sounds like a really hard day. Easy for me to speculate... lol but they need longer snowshoes like the msr with extensions and go when it is frozen, maybe even reach the snow by daybreak.

I agree. I always give most expert advice when I’m on a couch 😁

I loved the hot tub post[hole]mortem session. Sounds like the navigating was a problem (trying to find blazes) in the openish woods there, with no tracks or monorail is definitely not easy! Good they backtracked instead of getting really lost!

Looks like I called it pretty close on his skip over to Franconia Ridge, He had good conditions to Lafayette and then got beat up between the low spot prior to Garfield all the way to Galehead hut. He ended the video that he is going to change things up as the whites are beating him up.

Too bad “Dad’s Disco” closed a few decades ago.

Looks like he is switching over to the Long Trail in VT. That will be interesting given that the snow pack is probably as deep in northern VT.

I doubt the Long Trail being administratively closed is going to stop them. I expect the late snow pack may. I will let GMC and the state of Vermont handle the administrative side.

Still no matter what, as long as they are on the LT, its a good resource on current back country conditions.

Snow in the Whites just isn't for me... "Everybody"!:D

Haha, this guy is getting an education on Spring hiking in New England. How is he going to hike the Long Trail? GMC still has it closed, don't they?

We did a section of the Long Trail this weekend and there was absolutely no mention of the trails being closed on any signage anywhere.

He's not the first AT thru-hiker to give up in NH this year. The first guy through gave up just after Kinsman Notch at the end of April. Seems to have ignored a lot of advice and thought he could push through it.