The Cog is in the news again for potenitally unpermitted building

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Something a little odd I noticed yesterday. We did Monroe, Washington, and Jefferson via the Ammo-Jewell “loop.” Parked in the USFS lot but then walked up the road to access Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail at the Cog.

The fee box was on a pole at the Cog’s hiker parking ($10 per person :D). Upon our return several hours later, the fee box and pole were GONE. Wondering who removed them; we came up with a couple of humorous scenarios...

Something a little odd I noticed yesterday. We did Monroe, Washington, and Jefferson via the Ammo-Jewell “loop.” Parked in the USFS lot but then walked up the road to access Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail at the Cog.

The fee box was on a pole at the Cog’s hiker parking ($10 per person :D). Upon our return several hours later, the fee box and pole were GONE. Wondering who removed them; we came up with a couple of humorous scenarios...

I thought the fee box was attached to the side of the Cog building? Is it possible no one sees it so they have a temporary post in a cinder block or something and they put down in the lot during operating hours to make it more obvious that they are collecting a fee?

The fee box was on a pole at the Cog’s hiker parking ($10 per person :D). Upon our return several hours later, the fee box and pole were GONE.

I hope this wasn't vandalism or theft by hikers. That would be unacceptable, criminal, behavior.

The Cog is a private business and they owe hikers nothing.

On a related note, a poster on FB complained about getting towed from the Cog lot for failure to pay. I was relieved to see that the large majority of replies had no sympathy for their plight.

On a related note, a poster on FB complained about getting towed from the Cog lot for failure to pay. I was relieved to see that the large majority of replies had no sympathy for their plight.

Entitlement gone bad. Love it.

Not sure it the "tow story is true" . I don't know if there is any warning signs there for towing. I assume you would need to have them in order to tow. I bet there might be more to their story than reported here.

Not sure it the "tow story is true" . I don't know if there is any warning signs there for towing. I assume you would need to have them in order to tow. I bet there might be more to their story than reported here.

Someone can have any vehicle towed from their private property. However, charges cannot be assessed to the owner unless it is posted.

From the cog website: "Hiker & Skier Parking at the Mount Washington Cog Railway Base Station We offer the ability to park your car in a safe, monitored location right next to the trail heads. Payment accepted is cash only and cars without a permit may be towed."

No clue what kind of signage is on site these days but if you're too lazy to do your research or walk a half mile from the plowed Ammo lot then I guess you get what's coming to you.

Can't believe the Cog would just up and tow someone that day without a permit. Certain someone on duty? perhaps. More baggage to the story? I bet. I know people and many cry " I'm innocent" but there is more to the story. In the Cog's case I can only imagine.

From the cog website: "Hiker & Skier Parking at the Mount Washington Cog Railway Base Station We offer the ability to park your car in a safe, monitored location right next to the trail heads. Payment accepted is cash only and cars without a permit may be towed."

No clue what kind of signage is on site these days but if you're too lazy to do your research or walk a half mile from the plowed Ammo lot then I guess you get what's coming to you.

Does anyone still take the actual Ammo Trail out of the official parking lot or do they either park at Base Station or walk the road? It's only like 0.6 miles or something and maybe 200' of elevation gain to follow the official trail. Of course if it has 3 feet of untouched powder it would be a big deal.

There are quite a few hikers and guides that still use the cog lot instead of the AMC lot. Of course prior to the cog starting to charge, the USFS lot was not plowed so it wasn't an option.

Alan Lowe long ago had the reputation of chaining a large weight to the bumper of any car that didn't pay at the Lowes Store lot. No sure if it was deserved or not. Its one of the few major trailheads in the whites that has no legal trailhead parking except a private lot. Since I rarely end up on Lowes path I don't even know if he still charges? There was move afoot at one time to buy the old Bowman Basecamp lot to create a big public parking lot for Lowes but I think the owner was asking too much.

When I first started hiking, the Piper Trail store was kept afloat by charging for parking, when the FS opened the free lot the store shut down within months.

Alan Lowe long ago had the reputation of chaining a large weight to the bumper of any car that didn't pay at the Lowes Store lot. No sure if it was deserved or not. Its one of the few major trailheads in the whites that has no legal trailhead parking except a private lot. Since I rarely end up on Lowes path I don't even know if he still charges?

The one time I parked there (I think either 2014 or 2015) I got there on a frigid NOV SAT AM around 6. I had read it was $1 to park but garage/store was still closed and I didn't see any obvious envelopes or signs, etc so I just parked right out front, suited up and took off. When I got back he was open so I went in, explained I got there really early and no one was around so I really had no clue what the "process" was. He was fine. He explained the front spaces are for customers, cars he's working on, etc and hikers usually park way out to the end on side. I apologized for taking a prime space, gave him my $1 and bought a few Gatorades and Power Bars. No issues. I really dislike the lower portions of the Lowes Path so I haven't parked there since so I have no idea what the current situation is.

Most recent beta I have on Lowe's was from 2012. We too got there before they opened and parked off in the side lot. When we got back, we explained, they had no issue with it and paid what they were asking (can't remember if it was $3 or $5). At this point I'd take anything over Valley Way.

I parked at Lowes this summer. We got there at 7 am, before they opened and left at 7 pm, after they closed. I called them the next day and they said just stop by the next time we were in the area, which we did. The gentleman at the store said the parking fees goes for plowing the lot in the winter.

Yes -- some of us do.

I wound up going up Ammo SAT from the official lot. There was one car ahead of me and the tracks of a bare booter in the fluffy, unconsolidated snow. Snowshoeing in the woods was amazing SAT. Light snow falling on and off, everything heavily blanketed in powder and very loose trail conditions. Even untracked the first mile to the junction with spur was no big deal. And my car was there when I got back. :)

Were always laughing at the hikers who go out of their way to find that parking spot near the trail head so they don't have to walk an extra few steps. And most of these are in youthful shape. Reminds me of the drivers at the box stores trying to get the spot right in front.