Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glacier National Park

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    A fairly quick hike near the park entrance if you're short on time one day is Apgar Lookout, great views of Lake MacDonald and the mountains behind. Grinnell Glacier from Many Glaciers lodge is a spectacular hike with lots of variety. It may have too much snow when you're there, unfortunately. We did a nice loop in the to Upper, Middle, and Lower Quartz lakes from Bowman Lake. It's a bit of a drive but great for solitude. Stop at the Merc for the Bearclaws! Finally we hiked to Siyeh Pass from the east side of Logan Pass. If the shuttles are running and you have time, doing the full hike back down to the road past the pass would be worth it.
    Dave, thanks for the leads. I've packed my spikes and snowshoes. Haven't seen any reports of snow depths on trails - you said there may be too much snow. Too much, do you think, for snowshoes?
    Life is a trip. Pack Accordingly.

Hey folks. I've another question. How do the trails compare to NH's 4Ks? Are they comparable to hiking in Yosemite and Tahoe areas? TIA
    Life is a trip. Pack Accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by KV View Post
    Hey folks. I've another question. How do the trails compare to NH's 4Ks? Are they comparable to hiking in Yosemite and Tahoe areas? TIA
    I have no experience with Tahoe or Yosemite, but mile for mile, I found the trails in Glacier MUCH easier than those in the Whites. The grades are more moderate (they do these whacky "switchback" things rather than take you straight up and incline) and the trails themselves have better footing. Far less picking your way around/over rocks and roots.
    Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

GNP trails are similar to Yosemite and Tahoe back country trails; I've spent a fair amount of time in all three areas. GNP, Yosemite, and Tahoe trails are MUCH easier than anything in the Whites. Not only are there switchbacks with ideal grading, the trails are considerably less eroded making foot placement much easier, which cuts way down on physical and psychological fatigue. Enjoy. GNP is just phenomenal.
    Sure. Why not.

KoKo Head Direct About 1024 Steps one way
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    ... I found the trails in Glacier MUCH easier than those in the Whites. The grades are more moderate (they do these whacky "switchback" things rather than take you straight up and incline) and the trails themselves have better footing. Far less picking your way around/over rocks and roots.
    And don't be surprised if you encounter the occasional horse party en-route. Ergo the switchbacks and easy inclines!
    cb
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama