Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: A Wonderful Rescue Story from Hawaii

  1. #1
    Senior Member ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    708

    A Wonderful Rescue Story from Hawaii

    Here is a wonderful story about an amazing rescue on Maui in HW.

    What's cool is how the community mobilized and kept going after the "official" rescuers gave up.

    A gofundme page paid for helo time and the volunteer rescue leader lost his job because of time off!

    But after three weeks they found her injured but very alive in a drainage.

    And as a coda, her dad wrote some GIS software to assist in the search, which he now plans to develop into a commercial product.

    Aloha spirit indeed! Go Hawaii!

    cb
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama
    .

  2. #2
    Senior Member CaptCaper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    AHH....SKYLINE
    Posts
    501
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Here is a wonderful story about an amazing rescue on Maui in HW.

    What's cool is how the community mobilized and kept going after the "official" rescuers gave up.

    A gofundme page paid for helo time and the volunteer rescue leader lost his job because of time off!

    But after three weeks they found her injured but very alive in a drainage.

    And as a coda, her dad wrote some GIS software to assist in the search, which he now plans to develop into a commercial product.

    Aloha spirit indeed! Go Hawaii!

    cb
    Her story seems fishy. I mean two weeks in that part of Maui? I know that area. Very tiny and a few miles from roads and or homes.

  3. #3
    Senior Member TJsName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Posts
    1,925
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCaper View Post
    Her story seems fishy. I mean two weeks in that part of Maui? I know that area. Very tiny and a few miles from roads and or homes.
    What is fishy about this to you?
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCaper View Post
    Her story seems fishy. I mean two weeks in that part of Maui? I know that area. Very tiny and a few miles from roads and or homes.
    I agree, her story is bogus. Look at her feet....looks like she just got a pedicure.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Missing_Maui_hiker_Amanda_Eller_has_been_1_89069658_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	6209
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    Trip pictures

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Ipswich, MA
    Posts
    374
    Crazy lady wanders into the woods following voices with nothing but the clothes on her back. Heartwarming.

  6. #6
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,542
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptCaper View Post
    Her story seems fishy. I mean two weeks in that part of Maui? I know that area. Very tiny and a few miles from roads and or homes.
    I don't know if I'd call it "fishy" but in the interview she did on Today show she really embellished the hell out of her decision to live or die and seemed pretty fond of herself. I think there is already a book deal in the works and I fully expect she'll monetize the hell out of this. I found her interview very self-serving. Did she stage the whole thing for this purpose? I don't know or really care for that matter but it felt less than genuine to me to on some level.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

  7. #7
    Senior Member ChrisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Seacoast NH
    Posts
    708
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    I don't know if I'd call it "fishy" but in the interview she did on Today show she really embellished the hell out of her decision to live or die and seemed pretty fond of herself. I think there is already a book deal in the works and I fully expect she'll monetize the hell out of this. I found her interview very self-serving. Did she stage the whole thing for this purpose? I don't know or really care for that matter but it felt less than genuine to me to on some level.
    Wow, it never occurred to me that she might have staged the whole thing! So you guys think she jumped off the cliff to break her own leg has part of the charade? OMG.

    The scenario here is similar to the Geraldine Largay AT accident in Maine: step off trail for a nature call, get disoriented, get lost.

    I hope the true story will eventually be told.

    (I also hope the responses to this thread are not the usual Internet misogyny evident in lots of other forums.)

    cb
    Last edited by ChrisB; 05-30-2019 at 10:24 AM.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama
    .

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Ipswich, MA
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Wow, it never occurred to me that she might have staged the whole thing! So you guys think she jumped off the cliff to break her own leg has part of the charade? OMG.

    The scenario here is similar to the Geraldine Largay AT accident in Maine: step off trail for a nature call, get disoriented, get lost.
    Except this woman wasn't an experienced hiker who wandered off trail for a nature call in a large wilderness. She wandered off trail in a park smaller than the Fells because she was compelled to by a "feeling" and somehow got lost for weeks. If I went out for a bushwhack in Lynn Woods with absolutely nothing the only topic of conversation would be when I'm getting my rescue bill.

    This woman deserves no glorification, especially if what she states is true. She had some hippy impulse that impacted a lot people (and boars), cost at least one person their job, and cost thousands of dollars. She wandered into the woods equipped with nothing, admittedly not knowing where she was going, then expects to be treated like a hero for somehow not dying.

  9. #9
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,542
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Wow, it never occurred to me that she might have staged the whole thing! So you guys think she jumped off the cliff to break her own leg has part of the charade? OMG.

    The scenario here is similar to the Geraldine Largay AT accident in Maine: step off trail for a nature call, get disoriented, get lost.

    I hope the true story will eventually be told.

    (I also hope the responses to this thread are not the usual Internet misogyny evident in lots of other forums.)

    cb
    I'm not saying she staged it. Probably worded that poorly in previous post. By "staged" I meant more that she was faking emotions and drama when talking about it not so much that the whole event was planned in advance. My bad. Embellished would probably have been a more accurate description. I'm saying she is really going out of her way to make it known to anyone who will listen what an awesome and inspiring person she is. I think she is exploiting her ordeal for material gain and exaggerating every detail to monetize it. That was my take anyway. Could be totally wrong but the whole thing just has a fake feel to it on some level.
    Last edited by DayTrip; 05-30-2019 at 01:47 PM.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

  10. #10
    Senior Member DayTrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Woodstock, CT
    Posts
    2,542
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    Except this woman wasn't an experienced hiker who wandered off trail for a nature call in a large wilderness. She wandered off trail in a park smaller than the Fells because she was compelled to by a "feeling" and somehow got lost for weeks. If I went out for a bushwhack in Lynn Woods with absolutely nothing the only topic of conversation would be when I'm getting my rescue bill.

    This woman deserves no glorification, especially if what she states is true. She had some hippy impulse that impacted a lot people (and boars), cost at least one person their job, and cost thousands of dollars. She wandered into the woods equipped with nothing, admittedly not knowing where she was going, then expects to be treated like a hero for somehow not dying.
    Yah totally agree. Feels like she is acting for a role on some crap network TV special.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

  11. #11
    Senior Member TJsName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Posts
    1,925
    It seems like some of you are having an issue with her not acting like you think a victim should. Without evidence of fraud, it really comes off as victim blaming (which is bad).

    Some questions to ponder (people don't have to respond):
    What would an ideal victim look like to you in this scenario?
    Do you think that anyone who goes into the woods unprepared deserves what they get if something bad happens?
    How is someone following a 'voice' any different than someone blindly going in the wrong direction?
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

  12. #12
    Member Rhody Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    44
    Tough crowd around here.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Ipswich, MA
    Posts
    374
    There is a difference between being a victim of someone else's recklessness and a victim of your own. This isn't blaming some assault victim. She was wholly responsible for the situation she found herself in and neglected to take even the most basic of precautions.

    I suppose an "ideal victim" would be a victim of circumstances outside of their control.
    Not many people deserve to have bad things happen to them but they certainly don't deserve to be glorified for their recklessness, either. You think she went on the Today show for free?
    Following a voice and blindly going in the wrong direction aren't necessarily different. Only she knew she wasn't going the right way when she set off down that path and did it anyway.

  14. #14
    Senior Member sierra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    New hampshire
    Posts
    2,594
    I have no idea if this story is true or not. That being said, if it is, staying alive in a situation like that is no easy task. If the story is true, I give her a lot of credit.

  15. #15
    Senior Member TJsName's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Posts
    1,925
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    There is a difference between being a victim of someone else's recklessness and a victim of your own. This isn't blaming some assault victim. She was wholly responsible for the situation she found herself in and neglected to take even the most basic of precautions.

    I suppose an "ideal victim" would be a victim of circumstances outside of their control.
    Not many people deserve to have bad things happen to them but they certainly don't deserve to be glorified for their recklessness, either. You think she went on the Today show for free?
    Following a voice and blindly going in the wrong direction aren't necessarily different. Only she knew she wasn't going the right way when she set off down that path and did it anyway.
    So, while she isn't an ideal victim, she still is a victim by most uses of the word - just like Largay, and the gentleman who died in Raymond's Cataract recently. It's not as though these people were committing crimes - their mistakes should be forgivable I think, especially given the price some of them paid.

    I do think she was paid to go on Today, and I think the Today show made a lot of money off her as well. I think Aron Rolston (127 Hours) also got paid handsomely for his story, but I suppose there are some that might believe he cut off his arm for the attention . I assume he was paid for his appearance on Dateline, albeit 6 months later (not a week later). He claims he got his will to live from a hallucination of himself playing with his future child (and he does have a son now, which is pretty cool).

    The terrain she was lost in is quite different than the Fells. I've never been through lush jungle like that, but I suspect it's pretty brutal to move though.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •