Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maine Huts and Trails not opening two huts for full service this summer and fall

I'm in that 2nd home demographic and seriously considered northern New England, having bid on a few places and going as far as a P&S on one. The objection to me is that I wanted to limit travel to under 2 1/2 hours in order to enjoy the place year round and frequently while my favorite places are generally 4-6 hours away. Instead, I got something closer to home (Cape Cod) with access to the amenities that would make it feasible as an eventual primary home ... the getaway then would move 1000 miles south! There is no better investment than real estate, IMNSHO, and while it all takes some mix of sweat equity, time and cash, it sure beats a keyboard in building up retirement capital.

As for MH&T, I think they are terrific facilities with a terrific vision and, though currently stalled, will eventually fulfill that vision but few industries can create a market, most must serve a market and those that do that best thrive.

I swung by the MHT website today, it sounds very dire. They have gone into survival mode with no plans to reopen full service at this time. They did mention that they successfully staffed the huts with volunteers over the winter. The Corona shutdown is probably a very hard one to survive given their precarious financial condition.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Tamworth, NH)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    I'm in that 2nd home demographic and seriously considered northern New England, having bid on a few places and going as far as a P&S on one. The objection to me is that I wanted to limit travel to under 2 1/2 hours in order to enjoy the place year round and frequently while my favorite places are generally 4-6 hours away. Instead, I got something closer to home (Cape Cod) with access to the amenities that would make it feasible as an eventual primary home ... the getaway then would move 1000 miles south! There is no better investment than real estate, IMNSHO, and while it all takes some mix of sweat equity, time and cash, it sure beats a keyboard in building up retirement capital.
    This was our thinking as well, except it's our first home since we rent down in MA. We wanted to be within 2 hours of home, and 30 minutes from Winnie as well as skiing and hiking, with the same thought process - wanted to use it year round. Having it as a staging area for trips further north is nice. I'd love to visit the MHT if they are still open next winter.
    | 64.5% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

"I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

They are leading with their best foot forward. Flagstaff Hut is hard to beat. That section of the lake gets little or no use, the only development is a bit of dam equipment at a distance. The shore line is reminiscent of the ocean, lots of beaches and driftwood. Would be hard to beat for family reunion of big family.

I was up to Flagstaff yesterday stacking firewood, again. 3 cord moved and stacked, 11 cord left to move, at that hut. The dock is in the water, gardens are planted, grass is mowed.