Last Minute Trip To Bigelow, ME

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks. Wound up doing the Baldpates instead SAT AM. Was up until 3AM FRI, late start SAT, etc so the 27 min ride to Grafton Notch had much more appeal than the 2h 6 min ride to Bigelow given my condition when I got up. That was a pretty awesome hike too actually. I don't think I have ever actually been in Grafton Notch. Very nice area. Have to save all this info for later in Summer.

You haven't done the Grafton Notch Loop Trail, then? Hidden gem, out in plain sight. Great views from the Bald Pates, Lightening Ledges, Puzzle Mountain, Sunday River Whitecap and Old Speck. The rest is a nice pleasant walk in the woods, mostly.

You haven't done the Grafton Notch Loop Trail, then? Hidden gem, out in plain sight. Great views from the Bald Pates, Lightening Ledges, Puzzle Mountain, Sunday River Whitecap and Old Speck. The rest is a nice pleasant walk in the woods, mostly.

Have not. It was "on the radar" a Summer or tow ago but I never wound up going. Think I will try again this year now that I have seen the area. Been trying to do a lot of new stuff this year.

Grafton Notch is usually just a bit too far of a drive most people from Mass and CT. There are far fewer folks on the trails except for Screw Auger Falls which give the Basin in Franconia Notch a run for its money. The Grafton Loop trail was intended to be the "best trail that could be built" using modern trail design in the area. The climb up Old Speck from the south is impressive piece of switch backing rarely encountered in the region, far nicer than the standard AT approach. While you are in the area, the Wright Trail off Sunday River Road and the abandoned Frye Brook trail past The Cataracts off of East B Hill road up to Baldpate from the west are all worth visiting. If you line up with blueberry season Rumford White Cap is not to be missed. If you think trail builders don't have a sense of humor, the hike up over Hall MTN down to Sawyer Brook and up over Moody Mtn to South Arm road will give you a hint of western Maine. There are AT hostels in Andover that offer this as a slackpack option.

Grafton Notch is usually just a bit too far of a drive most people from Mass and CT. There are far fewer folks on the trails except for Screw Auger Falls which give the Basin in Franconia Notch a run for its money. The Grafton Loop trail was intended to be the "best trail that could be built" using modern trail design in the area. The climb up Old Speck from the south is impressive piece of switch backing rarely encountered in the region, far nicer than the standard AT approach. While you are in the area, the Wright Trail off Sunday River Road and the abandoned Frye Brook trail past The Cataracts off of East B Hill road up to Baldpate from the west are all worth visiting. If you line up with blueberry season Rumford White Cap is not to be missed. If you think trail builders don't have a sense of humor, the hike up over Hall MTN down to Sawyer Brook and up over Moody Mtn to South Arm road will give you a hint of western Maine. There are AT hostels in Andover that offer this as a slackpack option.

Yes it is nearly 4 1/2 hours under ideal traffic conditions for me so an overnight or camping trip to the area is more sensible. This area and the Wild River Wilderness have been on my radar for awhile now but I keep talking myself into other hikes. I think I am going to make it a point to get in these areas for 2019 season, especially now that I am overnighting more. Really burnt out on all the "standard" White Mountain stuff.