A Rescue Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisB

Reaction score
Recent rescues have referred to the "piggy back" carry as a method of victim transport.

Is this what it sounds like... the victim hoisted up on the back of a rescuer and carried for a significant distance (possibly uphill)?

I've hauled some heavy packs in my day, but not equal to the weight of an adult human (130lbs plus).

My Question: What kind of superheros do we have assisting with rescues in NH?!?!

I assume there is a limit to this method and the circumstances. I wouldn't want to get in an argument with a guy that could piggy back my 6'3" 230 lb frame out of the Whites. I suppose someone could do it. I'm impressed just seeing the AMC hut crew people going up and down the trails with those wooden supply "backpacks".

This was once very common, when prefab litters were unknown. If you had multiple rescuers you'd take turns, or have two of them do a "chair carry" (linking arms). In those days normal woodsman's equipment included a saw or hatchet, so you could build a litter or travois (semi-sledge), but that's very hard to manage on a slope without a big team.