Thread: A Rescue Question

A Rescue Question

Recent rescues have referred to the "piggy back" carry as a method of victim transport.

Is this what it sounds like... the victim hoisted up on the back of a rescuer and carried for a significant distance (possibly uphill)?

I've hauled some heavy packs in my day, but not equal to the weight of an adult human (130lbs plus).

My Question: What kind of superheros do we have assisting with rescues in NH?!?!
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

I would say probably yes.

Saw this post over on twitter a few weeks ago. Speaks for itself ...

https://twitter.com/scottvanlaer/sta...39056543772677

I assume there is a limit to this method and the circumstances. I wouldn't want to get in an argument with a guy that could piggy back my 6'3" 230 lb frame out of the Whites. I suppose someone could do it. I'm impressed just seeing the AMC hut crew people going up and down the trails with those wooden supply "backpacks".
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

This was once very common, when prefab litters were unknown. If you had multiple rescuers you'd take turns, or have two of them do a "chair carry" (linking arms). In those days normal woodsman's equipment included a saw or hatchet, so you could build a litter or travois (semi-sledge), but that's very hard to manage on a slope without a big team.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Recent rescues have referred to the "piggy back" carry as a method of victim transport.

Is this what it sounds like... the victim hoisted up on the back of a rescuer and carried for a significant distance (possibly uphill)?

I've hauled some heavy packs in my day, but not equal to the weight of an adult human (130lbs plus).

My Question: What kind of superheros do we have assisting with rescues in NH?!?!
    I had a grot of friends piggyback someone off Field a few years ago. She had hurt her ankle and needed help. They took turns and got her down fairly quickly.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    I assume there is a limit to this method and the circumstances. I wouldn't want to get in an argument with a guy that could piggy back my 6'3" 230 lb frame out of the Whites. I suppose someone could do it. I'm impressed just seeing the AMC hut crew people going up and down the trails with those wooden supply "backpacks".
    I am in the same boat! I had a friend on the PVSAR team and he said one time they had to haul out large Scandinavian woman who probably weighed 200 lbs, and that it was quite a lot of work! I think of him whenever I approach a tricky area as I don't want to become the example of a difficult rescue.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail (Pemi District)