Bugs In Southern NH

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quietman

Reaction score
Hiked S pack yesterday and took the time to prepare with lots of bug spray, but was amazed that there were no black flies or mosquitoes. Even the dreaded eye nats were non existent. Anyone else experiencing the same? With all of the recent wet weather, I was expecting worse.

Hiked from Jackson up to Carter Notch and spent the night at Perkins Ridge Shelter. Bug net was on almost the entire time, except when climbing the Ramparts. The breeze and cooler weather kept them away. Back down into the woods, bugnet went back on. As soon as I stepped out of the car at the trail head when a black fly flew into my eye, until I got back and closed the car door and took it off again, the flies were bothersome, the mosquitoes irksome. Insect repellent on my hands and wrists prevented any bug bites this hike.

I am all over southern NH at the moment and I haven't gone without a head net once. The mosquitoes have been awful. :(

I've been lucky this year. Most of my hikes had enough breeze and cool mornings that bugs were a non issue. I'm seeing mostly mosquitos this year. Few black flies, even in the Catskills. I did an overnight this weekend up Nancy Pond Trail over to Stillwater Junction and out via Carrigain Notch. SAT I wore shorts and a t-shirt all day and only put some repellent on at the ponds. I got some pretty curious looks from 4 guys fishing the dam at Norcross Pond who were in full head nets, long pants, long sleeves and slathering repellent all over themselves. SUN it was dead calm and muggy and if you stopped for any length of time the mosquitoes were bad, especially at the lower elevations. Wore long sleeves and pants but no repellent.