Big Advances in Rescue Technology

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I am a dedicated map and compass only user on personal hikes and bushwhacks as my preferred method of recreational travel with back country navigation, I could not be a SAR volunteer crew boss assisting NYSDEC Forest Rangers without detailed experienced use of GPS during SAR incidents. Just last week during a guide training program, my students found tiny obscure landmarks using map and compass only.

However, drones have recently come into play during wildland searches in the Adirondacks. It was almost humorous on my last large SAR incident to be in the command center with a very large monitor displaying live drone photos. Rangers were gathered around debating whether the tan colored spot in the break of trees was in fact the subject laying down or simply a patch of sand (he was known to have shed his clothing). Some did not think the new technology had much use, other than a good resource for viewing shallow ponds and open complex brushy shorelines where ground searchers typically have difficulty.

Last edited:
However, drones have recently come into play during wildland searches in the Adirondacks. It was almost humorous on my last large SAR incident to be in the command center with a very large monitor displaying live drone photos. Rangers were gathered around debating whether the tan colored spot in the break of trees was in fact the subject laying down or simply a patch of sand (he was known to have shed his clothing). Some did not think the new technology had much use, other than a good resource for viewing shallow ponds and open complex brushy shorelines where ground searchers typically have difficulty.
I suspect drones can be a lot more useful if they carry some device that can ping lost person's cell phone and home in on its location in order to narrow down the search area. I'm not sure if that is technically possible but it would be even better if such device could trigger lost person's phone to enable gps and report coordinates (although any such capability that would not require user consent feels quite creepy.)

I guess the NYS drone did not have any FLIR?
it had been almost a month since the subject had gone missing, so body temperature would have assumed the same as the environment by that time. Ultimately he was found yet a week later outside of the primary search area by a ranger acting on a hunch.