How long do your hiking boots last?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today I noticed that the tread on my boots have worn through in a couple places. Hadn't really paid much attention to the soles, and it is only serendipity that I noticed it today.

Thing is, it seems to me that the soles should have lasted longer. The boots are just over 5 years old, and I figure they have in the ballpark of 1,200 miles on them, The uppers are in mostly good shape. Am I expecting too much, or did I get my wear out of the soles? I've had previous boots for much longer, but probably much fewer miles.

By the way, I'd be happy to get them re-soled if that is possible. They are Vasque Breeze - anyone know if they can be re-soled, or should I pitch them? The previous pair of boots, I replaced because the cobbler said they could not be re-soled - the pair previous to that, I had re-soled at least once...

Thanks!

TomK

1200 miles? Wow. Most of the shoes I own get nowhere near that:

-Merrill (Discontinued Model): Trashed after about 100-125 miles; soles worn, tears in sides, stitching coming undone
-Asolo Fugitive GTX's : Had 2 pairs; First pair soles worn about half way down 500-600 miles; some of shoe lace eyes starting to rip; 2nd pair I retired after about 200 miles for trail runners-they were fine
-La Sportiva Ultra Raptors; Had 2 pairs; First pair soles worn about half way down after 125-150 miles; Uppers and rest of shoe still holding up well after maybe 350 miles; 2nd pair about the same
-Altra Lone Peak 4.0s; Well on their way to being wrecked after about 75 miles; Soles seem like they'll hold up better than Ultra Raptors but rest of shoe won't - mesh ripping, toe covers peeling back, etc

Not sure what brand or how old your current boots are but I'd be thrilled with 1200 miles of use out of today's products. EDIT: Just saw you have Vasque. I have a pair of their Winter boots which are holding up well but they really don't fit me right so I haven't used extensively. I put far less mileage on my Winter boots and snow is generally far more forgiving than rocks, gravel and tree bark so I didn't include.

Vasque GTX can not be resoled. I have had several pairs of Vasque and have gotten at least 1200 miles out of most of them. I have had a couple pairs where the sole actually split in the ball of the foot area after a year or two and the soles hardly showed any wear. I am not hard on shoes and you are obviously not either. Many of my friends get maybe a season out of their shoes and we hike the same hikes except I do 2-3 times more hiking than they do. I switched last year to North Face trail runner and have at least 500 miles on them and they look like they just came out of the box. I have had the same luck with Merrill, so I believe it is more your gait style than the boot itself.

Much of it depends on your feet, the miles and the type of terrain, Bear in CT is nothing like the Northern Presidentials, neither is Waumbek. I'm probably adding a pair of lightweight shoes every two or three years. I'm still wearing 20+ year old boots in fall and winter. I still have the pair of shoes that I wore in high water to Owl's Head and high water to Street and Nye. They are failing on the sides, however, they are quick drying and even soaking wet with wet socks I stay blister free. I wouldn't wear them anyplace with lots of debris on the trail or talus, but I would up Street and Nye if the brook crossing was not possible staying dry.

Years ago, Dave and I were comparing boots, we both have several pairs. (I'm at 7 or 8 pair with a pair of summer shoes still in a box) Rotating boots will help them last longer. If you have a nice leather pair you wear in the Whites or ADK's on the rougher terrain, get a lighter pair for easier locations

I get a season off my new balance trail runners. If I use them for walking around the neighborhood on pavement I wear out the soles but usually wear out the body materials if I strictly hike with them.

I’ve had a few pair of boots that I literally hiked the soles off of.

More frequently, though, they last until the caked-on mud and overwhelming stench becomes more than I want to deal with anymore.

I get about 150 miles out of my Altra Lone Peaks before they get ugly. Two pairs per summer, usually.

Tim

Altra claims you can get 400 miles on a pair, so I exchange them after about 100 when the soles start to delam. 2 pairs every year but only pay for 1.

No matter what the boot if you clean them (inside and out) after each use they will last longer.

I have had a couple pairs where the sole actually split in the ball of the foot area after a year or two and the soles hardly showed any wear.

Had that happen with a pair of Merrills. Tried to seal the split with Shoe Goo, but it wasn't a repair that was going to be durable.

Bear in CT is nothing like the Northern Presidentials, neither is Waumbek.

That's the truth. Don't get up north that much any more - the shoes I'm talking about have only a couple 4Ks on them. The trails I mostly do in CT are probably less hard on soles.

Rotating boots will help them last longer. If you have a nice leather pair you wear in the Whites or ADK's on the rougher terrain, get a lighter pair for easier locations

I do have a pair of heavier boots that I use in winter, but I actually prefer the lighter boots like the Vasque Breeze for the Whites in summer.

No matter what the boot if you clean them (inside and out) after each use they will last longer.

A couple months ago, I replaced the original footbeds with Superfeet, and when I pulled the old footbeds out, I was amazed at the amount of junk that had worked underneath the footbeds and came spilling out. Never noticed anything bad while wearing the boots though.

From the responses, it seems like at minimum, I got my money's worth from the boots, perhaps much more. I'll attribute them lasting fewer years to the fact that I hiked more often in these boots than I did in previous boots that lasted more years. That's not a bad thing.

TomK

Had that happen with a pair of Merrills. Tried to seal the split with Shoe Goo, but it wasn't a repair that was going to be durable.

That's the truth. Don't get up north that much any more - the shoes I'm talking about have only a couple 4Ks on them. The trails I mostly do in CT are probably less hard on soles.

I do have a pair of heavier boots that I use in winter, but I actually prefer the lighter boots like the Vasque Breeze for the Whites in summer.

A couple months ago, I replaced the original footbeds with Superfeet, and when I pulled the old footbeds out, I was amazed at the amount of junk that had worked underneath the footbeds and came spilling out. Never noticed anything bad while wearing the boots though.

From the responses, it seems like at minimum, I got my money's worth from the boots, perhaps much more. I'll attribute them lasting fewer years to the fact that I hiked more often in these boots than I did in previous boots that lasted more years. That's not a bad thing.

TomK

Dirt, fuzz, little pebbles are all very erosive. Some waterproofing agents that have oil or even wax can actually attract that kind of stuff adding to abrasion. The salts you sweat out are also very erosive to the interior of a boot. Especially leather foot ware. Wiping out the inside of a boot right after taking them off helps facilitate this from not happening. Even using a light wire brush or some other tool to remove pebbles between the tread on the sole facilitates better wear. Bottom line. Don't put your stuff away dirty and that goes for everything else. You name it. Outer ware, packs, tents and sleeping bags.

I use Asolo 520's since 1995 I believe. Any way I still have the original pair is great shape. Another two pair as well. Miles? ha. two many to count. I have a pair of Fugitives I use to easy walking like sight seeing that the soles came off. Had them redone in OEM Asolo soles by their guy. Better sole this time around. And first class job.

He might do your soles as well.

Let's see. I bought my Vasque at EMS in 1971. I've hiked the NH 4K twice, finished the NE 4k, got 50+% of the ADKs, many many hike out west (CO, NM, WY, WA), and still going.