Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: John Oliver - Mount Everest discussion

John Oliver - Mount Everest discussion

John Oliver did this very funny and very accurate segment on Mount Everest climbing recently.
    Everest seems to have become an example showing the stupidity of humanity.
    There is literally tons of human excrement and trash up there. The roles/treatment of the sherpas and methods climbers use to get to the top expedition-style are questionable. The mass death weeks ago from the "traffic jam" was really irresponsible and disturbing. So insane to see a backed-up Disney World length line to reach the summit.

Check it out here, very good segment:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bchx0mS7XOY
    Spencer
    Bigfoot

IMO some things are just better left off for late night television.
    Last edited by skiguy; 06-26-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Coworker watched the skit at work and I said to her, that's about $3k worth of down clothing just for that act.

F---ing hilarious
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

That which I cannot do myself, I choose to ridicule.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

That was pretty funny. If you enjoyed that, you might also enjoy this hilarious take on mountaineering

Tim

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    That was pretty funny. If you enjoyed that, you might also enjoy this hilarious take on mountaineering

Tim
    I also found it pretty funny. I think they should do away with the permit fees/limits to climb, but charge $250k for a rescue if they find the person negligent. They'll have to build a heli pad on the 2nd step, but that should be fine.

Tim, thanks for sharing that link. I found it very relevant.
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Darwinism will win the day for sure. Particularly if with a few more quakes K2 becomes the tallest mountain. Imagine the carnage.

I like John Oliver's comedic style so I liked it. Economics and human hubris is driving too much of the Everest trade. In this particular instance, Darwinism is multi-dimensional. Most of the Everest tourist are the financially fit and many are physically fit. (okay some aren't in great shape) They come from good environments and are successful. Hubris drives them from their comfortable places within society to try and get their name on a trophy and for many of these people Everest is a trophy.

To put this back in a northeast bent, Is a crowded Washington, Whiteface or Marcy the summits you (most of us thinking of ourselves as knowledgeable hikers in the region) would want to be standing on or hiking too during a great weather weekend in summer? (you and a couple of 100 friends) Franconia Ridge on a Saturday? Those of us who love the mountains are looking at something less visited and underrated, we get up early to beat the crowds or go late for sunset when most have left. We can bicker over if there are too many regulations in Baxter, however, those regulations help keep Katahdin and Hamlin much less visited than their neighboring states' high points.

BTW, on several of the continents, the second highest is harder than the highest.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post

Tim
    That was awesome, Tim! Thank you for sharing that.

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by NHClimber View Post
    Darwinism will win the day for sure. Particularly if with a few more quakes K2 becomes the tallest mountain. Imagine the carnage.
    I like your thinking. How much effort could it be to demolished the top 800' or so?
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Currently Everest is growing, now shrinking as a result of the Indian tectonic plate sliding under the Asian plate.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Currently Everest is growing, now shrinking as a result of the Indian tectonic plate sliding under the Asian plate.
    Enough with the geological truth, debbie downer. I like TJ's idea of demolishing the top then. And I still say a quake could help, at least in the short term!

Quote Originally Posted by Puma concolor View Post
    That which I cannot do myself, I choose to ridicule.

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
    Respectfully, I think that you're missing the point of John Oliver's piece, which was pointing out the absurdity that so many unqualified people are allowed to climb, threatening the lives of everyone, including the people who are qualified. And, they're doing it all on the backs of the sherpas, many of whom are dying for their selfish ego trips.

That’s fine.

My overall philosophy when it comes to mountain travel is that a certain amount of regulation is necessary to ensure that those who visit the mountains have a true mountain experience. Limits on numbers of climbers (whether it be Everest or Mount Whitney), blue bags, camping restrictions etc etc. But beyond that, I strongly believe that anyone who wishes to voluntarily participate in a mountain activity should be afforded the right to do so. Specific to Everest, that goes for climbers and sherpas alike. No one is forcing Everest climbers to go to Everest and no one is forcing sherpas to choose that line of work. Both weigh the risks and rewards of what they are doing and choose to participate based on their own internal drives. And every year, they combine with one another to put on a show that the entire world is simply unable to ignore. Despite the so-called “cheapening” of what an Everest summit means, people are still mesmerized by the spectacle.

I have no desire to climb Everest and certainly no desire to ever have anyone carry my gear or equipment. But that’s my choice. What I choose to do in the mountains has no greater or less value than what anyone else chooses to do ... including neophyte Everest aspirants.

And since we’re talking music videos here, let me suggest this one ...

Live and Let Die
    Last edited by Puma concolor; 06-27-2019 at 09:07 AM.