Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Busy SAR 2019 Season Continues

WCVB (Boston) ran a story & interview last night:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/im-stil...-days/28250763

He said he got lost coming off Bondcliff. Mentioned encountering a washout at a stream. Lost his pack with food & water.

While looking at the interview they showed his footgear. Looked to me like a pair of work boots. Sure folks do wear work boots but when doing a 31 mile day hike its not a typical choice for footgear. My guess is didn't keep an eye on his hydration and most likely was out of balance on his electolytes. He may have skipped the water source at Guyot and that means he may have not tanked up on water since Galehead. His claim of losing 20 plus pounds in 4 days lines up with dehydration being a factor.

This is such a bizarre story.

One of the newspapers reported he spent most of his lost time near Black Brook, down a slope and unable to get up to the trail. I'm wondering if the washout was where the trail crosses the top of Black Brook and turns south. Perhaps he got into the stream bed there? But did he follow it all the way down to the Lincoln Woods Trail where he was found? He would have crossed the Bondcliff trail several times along the way. Or was he found somewhere else?

Will there be an SAR report at some point that might have the details?

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    People get dehydrated all the time when surrounded by water.
    I've have been witness to someone going into severe dehydration. Even with plenty of water around it can be a downward spiral for the dehydrating individual once the early stages start to occur. Most folks metabolism can only absorb around a liter of water per hour. It's important to drink enough but not too much. When water needs to be managed in a point to point situation one must have a strategy. If enough is not ingested that's not good obviously. But drinking too much too soon can result in the body excreting what it cannot absorb resulting in a waste of supply between water sources. Once an individual starts to go dry disorientation and irrationalism will set in and fog the appropriate cognitive set of the individual. They actually loose their desire to drink which obviously compounds the dire situation. Also one's stomach begins and can continue to loose proper hydration resulting in the stomach acids eating away at the stomach lining causing severe pain. Therefore the desire to drink and eat becomes inhibited.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

While it may not work 100% of the time, isn't the Pemi the perfect place to abide by the rule of just following the water downhill and out to safety? Everything that flows in there is going to flow into the East Branch of the Pemigewasset eventually and if you follow that it leads back to Lincoln Woods and the Kanc. I can understand getting confused at a washed out stream crossing. I've been temporarily stumped a few times with Isolation Trail and Sabbaday Brook Trail as examples. I don't understand losing your pack and not remembering to "follow the water." I suppose if you are dehydrated and not thinking clearly it's probably a lot like hypothermia and you can make lots of mistakes. I'm glad he made it out.
    "I am a pilgrim and a stranger"

Quote Originally Posted by Grey J View Post
    While it may not work 100% of the time, isn't the Pemi the perfect place to abide by the rule of just following the water downhill and out to safety? Everything that flows in there is going to flow into the East Branch of the Pemigewasset eventually and if you follow that it leads back to Lincoln Woods and the Kanc. I can understand getting confused at a washed out stream crossing. I've been temporarily stumped a few times with Isolation Trail and Sabbaday Brook Trail as examples. I don't understand losing your pack and not remembering to "follow the water." I suppose if you are dehydrated and not thinking clearly it's probably a lot like hypothermia and you can make lots of mistakes. I'm glad he made it out.
    Unless your dehydrated resulting in diminished decision making, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by hikeritz View Post
    Will there be an SAR report at some point that might have the details?
    The F&G press release is usually the final word. Sometimes the subject will speak to the press (which it looks like happened here); sometimes F&G will make another statement if they decide to charge; and sometimes the Accidents editor for Appalachia will decide to write an event up and do some legwork. But usually the PR shortly after the find is it.