Is New Baxter State Park Director Hurting Operations?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still free in winter, AFAIK. I'd consider it a nuisance fee so as to encourage responsible usage of the available wood. If it were free, people would "hog it".

Tim

Yah $3 per bundle for a decent bundle (at least up to this year) is well worth it. I car camp a fair amount and $6-$9 a bundle for campground wood is pretty common. I never had a problem with the fee in Baxter until the wood sucked this year.

Just for the record, I stayed at the South Branch Campground this past week and our experience was the polar opposite of July in Roaring Brook. The ranger found us late in the afternoon at our site for check in, checked our slip, reviewed ALL the rules of the campground in great detail (he even told me not to use my Yeti cooler, which is IGBC rated when padlocked) and told us to have a good time. Was very friendly. There was a handicapped couple (deaf) several sites down that fired up a generator while he was talking to us and he promptly went and dealt with that after speaking to us. They also had two "service dogs", one of which barked at everyone walking by and clearly was not a service dog. My wife said the morning I hiked the ranger was at their site early AM and later that day they had packed up and left. Not sure if they were asked to leave or it was coincidence. Outhouses were very clean, plenty of toilet paper and had air fresheners. The piles of paper and excrement inside were pretty high and had a lot of flies but were fine otherwise. Firewood was excellent. Combo of nice, dry and highly burnable pine as well as birch. The last night we bought two bundles that were 100% birch and had a nice, long, hot fire. The morning we were packing up another ranger stopped to empty the ash from our fire pit and had a nice friendly conversation too. So I'm hopeful our 2019 Roaring Brook experience was indeed a "one of" disappointment with the transition in management and things are back on track.